Author Topic: The Fantasy season begins...  (Read 8916 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: The Fantasy season begins...
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
Yes, it's been quite a fun season so far.   I'm 5-3 after two wins in a row.   Since Moore and Gaffney are now active, combined with the secret being out on Hartline after that huge ARZ game, the safety rolls to his side every time and he's not as productive the past couple games.    If he wasn't on the injury report, I might start him in Indy as that place is just perfect for passing, but Tannehill is a little banged up, and Moore loves Fasano as his top target.   Starting Bush today... he's due for a big game, but from a Fantasy perspective.. Daniel Thomas getting the carries in the red zone is annoying.  As a Fins Fan, any way we can get it in the end zone is great.   Thomas was solid against the Jets, both in blocking and running up the middle.   

The Chargers offense is definitely matchup based, no Chargers players are must-starts every week regardless of matchups... that's why I don't own any.   Matthews is an amazing runner, but the Chargers offense is just not consistent and seems to be a bit predictable against good defenses.

My lineup this week...  Schaub, Mcgahee, Rice, Marhsall, V Jackson, Graham, Reggie Bush, Tynes and Fins D.

My opponent is starting Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels, so I figured the smart play is to go with Schaub, even though Luck has been my starter and has better high end potential.  Any points for Daniels and Johnson will go through my QB.  Plus Luck is going against the Fins D today though so I have no choice but to sit him.   The only other sit that bothers me is James Jones against ARZ.   The Cards are who Hartline torched, possibly the most over-hyped under-acheiving secondary in the NFL.  Peterson this and that...  the guy looked like a rookie against Hartline, and against Crabtree last week he looked like he belonged on the practice squad.    Nelson is still banged up, so Jones could put up serious numbers today against the Cards...  It's between V Jackson and Jones, as both are going against weak secondaries...  I hope that's not the sit that causes me to lose.. still going to think on it for another hour or so as I watch the pre-game reports... 

Our league is very tight and the next two weeks will shape the playoffs.   Good luck to everyone this week!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »
Unfortunately I started the Dolphins' defense in one of my leagues.  Looks like a loss unless Brees and Graham come through tonight and Colston does not.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
Dolphins D let me down as well after crushing it last week.    They were a half-step too slow for Luck all day.   And Smith had two gift-wrapped INTs that he just plain missed. 

Same here, Steve, except I only have Graham to go and I'm behind 13 pts w my opponent all checked in.    Definitely doable, but he's going to need a hot game!    Oh, and I can also win the weekly picks pool if the Saints win and the point total of both teams is between 39-45.    Could be a fun game tonight BUT some very specific things need to happen for me!  LOL   Good luck!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
Yes, I am sitting about 24 points back in my PPR league.  But, he is done and I have LeSean McCoy and Marques Colston left to go tonight.  So, in the absence of a defensive struggle, I think I have a decent shot.  I think you are more in trouble on the point total than the Saints win, FWIW.  Good luck.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 01:04:47 AM »
Wow, doesn't get much closer than this...   I thought Turner had me sunk last night, but Graham to the rescue!   6-3 and on a roll by the skin of my teeth!

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 01:13:32 AM »
Oh, but the night couldn't be perfect, and I missed the pool by 3 points.   Five of us were tied at 11-3 with a Saints win, with point total for the game as the tiebreak.  Someone picked 41.   I picked 44.   The next highest was 52.   So the situation I foresaw in that next to last possesion with the Eagles threatening, with a combined score of 41 and me 3-6 points away from winning outright, was a TD by the Eagles, then they go for 2 and miss, then attempt a failed OSK and Brees kneels it out, BOOM, I take the high and the low....  but that was Just My Imagination Running Away With Me!   How do you fumble it twice on the same play Brent Celek?  (CMON MAN!!!)  
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »

Interesting that you have Luck on your team Jason.  I really look forward to watching him play.  I think he could end up being a great traditional QB like Montana or Elway. 

Having finally watched Luck in a complete game now, back to back... Fins and Jags, I feel like he's the best rookie QB I've seen in a long time.   The way he moves in the pocket, so effortlessly, and keeps his eyes downfield the whole time.  You can't teach that and some will never have it: cite Gabbert.   Gabbert is a fraud.  He has a great arm, and all he did in college was throw the ball down the field with deep drops and little pressure.   Gabbert collapses right INTO the pressure when the pocket breaks down, whereas Luck slides away from it and looks to make a play with his arm, then lastly his feet, which people are finally starting to realize are among the best in the league.  Luck is a special athlete and the best rookie QB in years, I think.   Tannehill has the arm, has the speed, but doesn't have the pocket movement (yet).  RG3 is the athlete, but maybe not the complete QB Luck is, but will improve as they mold that team around him.  Cam Newton has the physical talents but maybe not the mental.   Dalton is inconsistent, with some pretty good weapons.   I think Luck takes last year's 2-14 Colts to the playoffs this year, probably.    I think John has it right, he has the potential to be a great, no doubt about it.  Halfway through his rookie year he's more impressive than any of the young QB's out there, to me.

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »
Getting crushed in fantasy and Fins are blown out. 

Reggie has the one early fumble and Philbin has to bench him for 2 quarters?   Every early drive after that was 2-3 yrds short, and that's what Reggie gives you over Thomas.   Don't cut off your nose to spite your face Philbin!    The wheels have come off by now, but the game was lost in those pivotal 2Q drives that went nowhere.  Terrible tackling, terrible coaching, terrible calls and terrible at protecting the football.  That all adds up to a shitty day of football....
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
Some good insight on the young qb's in the league Jason.  While Gabbert has improved over last year (how could he not?), I don't see him as any more than a journeyman.  He doesn't seem to have the touch that the great qb's have as he tends to sling the ball.  At least he isn't ducking while throwing like last year.  Gabbert is tall but he throws low, like Bernie Kosar, without Bernie's talent.  He can actually run pretty good but you rarely see him do this as he panics and collapses when the heat is on.  Luck is so polished for a rookie it is scary.  If the Jags get the number 1 draft pick this year, they should upgrade and take their losses on Gabbert.  The franchise has made some very questionable moves such as extended Gene Smith's contract, hiring Mike Mularkey who was a failure in Buffalo, and moving some home games to London.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
Anyone else feeling the late season strain?   I've fallen to 6-6 and on the playoff bubble with about 4 other teams.   Magahee out!  Bush tanks when I play him and scores big when I sit him, Rodgers doesn't even LOOK AT JAMES JONES ONCE THE ENTIRE GAME on Sunday night.... screw you Packers and your hideous mustaches!  You deserve to LOSE and be embarassed!  Ugh....  Dropped Jones, I don't want him on my roster ever again.  Picked up Shorts, since Henne has secured the job in Jax and love or hate Henne, he will sling the ball out there and give his receivers chances.  Shorts will at least get looks!  Grrrrr... that Packers game was tough to watch.. I needed only 4 pts from Jones to win... got a fat ZERO. 

So I'll need to win back-to-back the next two weeks.   I picked up Beanie Wells last week and dropped Magahee, but didn't start him because I figure they will ease him back in.  Well 17 carries and two TDs later, I'm finding any decision I make to be the wrong one.  Serenity now! LOL

These last two weeks are big.  Good luck everyone!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 07:07:44 PM »
Yea it is that time of the year, going 0-4 in the past 2 weeks.

In my 10 team league I'm already out...  started out 4-2 then lost every game since, so that's pretty bad.  It's a very seasoned group I've been playing with for years, so competition is very tough, especially considering kids are even beating me that weren't even born when I started in this league!

On a better note I am leading my 12 team league 9-3, with two of those losses coming in the past two weeks.  That's excellent this year but as a keeper league that carries over at least 8 players, half my starting is relatively ancient (Marshall, Gates, Wayne, Ray Lewis).  Andrew Luck or RG3 would have been nice, but I have no real complaints.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
Well, if Tynes kicks a single field goal tonight then I'm still alive.  I trail Metal Militia by 2.7 pts- he's all checked in, and I've got Tynes to go.  Liking my chances to survive another week.  I'll be tied with 3 teams for the last playoff spot!   Next weekend will tell all.   Steve Metal Militia has 10 wins and can't be caught as our number one seed going into the playoffs, btw. 
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Whew...

I went into this weekend on the bubble for the final playoff spot with three other teams, losing the tie-break to two of them.   So if either of those two teams won, even if I won, I was out.  They both lost and I won!   Thanks to Eric (prefontaine79) beating my friend Shawn last night (basically came down to Hernandez versus Welker) to push me through to the playoffs!

Congrats to Metal Militia as our Regular Season Champ!    We have three of the four same teams as last year's playoffs (dynastys are beginning!).

Hope everyone else's Fantasy leagues had similar high note regular season endings!   

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
My main league ended the regular season last week and started the playoffs this week.  I got into the playoffs on a tie-breaker, as there were four teams tied for three spots with the same record.  Fortunately, I had more total points scored than one of the others, so I slid in with the sixth and final spot.  Had to scramble a bit for players, as my number one back, LeSean McCoy appears to be out for the duration, but got lucky and picked up Knowshon Moreno, who had a career fantasy day on Sunday.  Went into last night needing 11 points from my Quarterback, which is the Houston Team quarterback.  Only had 10 point when Mallet threw the late interception, then went ahead by .2 points on a pass to Devere Posey.  Still on pins and needles, but then the last minute garbage time touchdown by the Houston backup locked it up for me.  I face the number 1 seed next week, but the top four in our league get paid, so I am already guaranteed some money no matter what happens next week.   He has some really solid point guys, including Brady and Hernandez, but many of them have crappy matchups.  I have pretty favorable matchups, so I am hopeful.

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »
I'm out of the playoffs in my long time league... in fact this week I won my first game in 8 weeks as Brady and Hernandez had a nice day. :( 

I've noticed if your first 3 picks don't work out, then you're hard pressed to have a good season.  In this league my first 3 picks were Brady/Fitzgerald/Matthews, and it's obvious why the team is awful (yea RBs are scarce in round 3).

My IDP league playoffs start next week, I think only 4 out of 12 teams advance for a 2 week playoff, I ended up 10-3 for first place so we'll see how that goes.  My first 3 picks were Rice/Marshall/McFadden.  While McFadden didn't have a good year, I had a few middle round gems in Ryan, Wayne, and Spiller.