Author Topic: FFL trade vetoes... opinions?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
FFL trade vetoes... opinions?
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
Ok, I have a touchy situation brewing in my league of local friends/aquaintances.   It is a money league, but not a big money league, more of a brag league.  10 owners @ $100, plus $2 trades and add/drops.

It's very simple.  One team (0-4) agreed to trade Gronkowski and Julio Jones to another team (2-2) in exchange for Dennis Pitta and Sidney Rice.   I got a couple texts and emails from other owners about it, and I agreeed that it looked fishy (number 1 TE for a middle of the road TE and a top 10 receiver for a middle of the road one).   So I voted to veto, as did several others, and it was vetoed.

So I get a couple of angry texts yesteday from the 2-2 team, saying that it's BS and what's going on? etc.....    And I saw that another trade was immediately proposed and accepted (after the veto) of Julio Jones for Sidney Rice, and that was just vetoed an hour ago.  And I anticipate more texts and some drama soon..

This is our third year as a league, and my third as its LM.  I've never had to deal with a fishy trade before, so any advice?

It seems clear to me that one owner is essentially (and prematurely) giving up, and trying to stack his friend's team.   But that's merely speculative, and part of me thinks if guys want to do a trade, we should just let them. 

Anyone ever had one of these sticky situations pop up with trades/possible collusion?    I was expecting the 2-2 team to just go "LOL, well we tried!" or something.  But apparently, he's pretty pissed and doesn't think it's anyone's right to stop the trade.

I can probably argue both sides, but I think our initial reaction of voting to veto was probably the right one.     

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
Re: FFL trade vetoes... opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »
Gronk is the top TE and Julio Jones is the #2 WR next to Megatron IMO.  Jones for Rice is rediculous also.  Rice is on the waiver wire in one of my leagues.  I normally don't veto trades but I would have in this case due to it being clearly one sided.  A $100 league is a sizeable payday to the winner so I think you did the right thing.  It's mighty early in the year for someone to basically throw in the towel.  I don't know what your relationship is with the two owners but I would be reluctant to invite them back next year.

I usually play on CBS Sports and they have a commissioner that can be used and hear appeals.  I take it that is not the case in your league.  It is a part of fantasy sports culture that trades need to be fair and you certainly had the right to veto IMO.  Then again, in my baseball league we allowed a Texeira for Konerko trade that seemed one sided in favor of Texeira but it turned out it wasn't the case.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »
Thanks Steve, yeah the guys are friends of mine (I think you've been over when one of them was here playing pins).    Steve Metal Militia (4-0, my opponent this week) is the owner who brought it all to my attention, as I rarely pay attention to trades, and my philosophy with policing most things is just let it be and it'll sort itself out, or else I would've probably missed it altogether.   I'm very 'hand's off' in terms of almost everything regarding moderation, managing, etc.   

And by the way, a new trade was proposed this am between them... 0-4 now is trying to trade away Julio Jones for 2-2's Lance Moore, who is OUT indefinitely.  LOL   Another veto!    I'll see one if not both of the guys on Sunday and hopefully we can all talk it out and it'll be cool.    After all, it's obvious collusion at this point. 

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Re: FFL trade vetoes... opinions?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »
Yeah, I would not feel bad about this especially with the second trade proposed.  This is pure BS and has no place in a gentleman's game.

John
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
Re: Re: FFL trade vetoes... opinions?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »
Wow when it gets that obvious its time to bring down the hammer.

Offline Pinfever

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:16:04 AM »
isn't it supposed to be friendly///// LOL anyway .. trades of any type can be proposed.. if it is veto'ed then oh well.. all have money on the line and have that right ..  Thier is no right to pitch a bitch and the teams should shut up or try another trade again as they did,, if not one sided i am sure it will not be veto'ed . i am in many leagues pay/non pay and in fantasy since the 90's .   this has not been an issue in any..becuase people accept the veto system ...  stand by the leagues owners and trade is not happening .. End OF Line ..

P.S I have never heard of negative points for a defense / special teams // that is just wrong !!!

Offline Pinfever

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
p.s   it means the system works as far as Veto power , the commish has no say , it is team owners rights to veto trades

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:29 PM »
Yeah, it all worked out after I had to speak with both owners.  And yeah, I had a -1 from a Defense last season...can't remember which team.  It happens.  You can even get -pts from players, but it's rare.

I've slipped the past 2 weeks, sadly.  I'm at 3-3 (like the Dolphins and entire AFC East!).   I have a must win this week, with a whole slew of byes, so I picked up Felix Jones, even though I hate the Cowgirls.  I'm also worried about Jimmy Graham, whose ankle might not be ready for Sunday, as I dropped my backup TE Selek to get Jones.  I picked up Chandler in case Graham isn't ready. 

This is the time of year when injuries and byes start to make the waiver wire a hot bed of activity.   Just judging from the activity so far, our league is going to have a nice hefty sum lumped into the winners cash already guaranteed from the $2 add/drops.

Fun season so far!  I'd like for the Wedgeheads and the Dolphins to both be 5-3 at the midway point.  We'll see!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »
I had Gronk out this week (bye week) and got lucky by randomly picking up Brandon Myers from Oakland as a one week fill in and he had 8 catches for 59 yards and two touchdowns.   I am ashamed to say I did not really know who he was and just grabbed him at the last minute because of the match up.  No idea if this is a huge outlier, but I may keep him and use for a flex some time or as trade bait.

As for the trades you reference above, they simply do not pass the smell test.  There was no way that those trades pass muster in any league that I have ever been involved with.  I think that they would have even been vetoed in a lot of automated leagues because of the point differentials among the players.  In my league, those guys probably would not be invited back in the next year.  Our commissioner is a good guy and knows everyone in the league and he would have done the exact same thing as you did.  Sad that it was necessary to do so, but IMO, you were right on target.

Ron