Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 1893 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Prometheus
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
Ok what are everyone's opinions of this movie?    With the bluray release on Tuesday,  director's cut and deleted scenes, seems a good time to discuss the movie.

Personally, I loved it more than any sci-fi movie in recent years, even with the lack of character development and inconsistencies.    It makes you wonder, think and discuss... more than any movie in recent memory, particularly those of us who love real science fiction.

It seems to be a Love-it-or-Hate-it movie.   But the idea of how many different possibilities there are for our existence, being on a very young planet in a relatively ancient universe, is fascinating, and I love any movie which has the guts to tackle it, even in a non-scientific hollywood way.    What could humans look like or acheive in another 30,000 years?   300,000 years?   300 million years (though our sun may burn our before then, or we could be choking on CO2)?      Look at where we were 300 years ago..... to driving a dune buggy around on the moon!    There are obviously limitations for carbon-based lifeforms, and I assume the science behind the hyper-sleep chambers is garbage, but how fun is it to ask ...what if?   :)   

Can it ever be possible to get to Kepler 22b, the nearest Earth-like planet we've found?   600 million light years away!  I've read theories that suggest we could eventually get there in 650 passenger years....some say it would take millions of years...     Hawking says it's not a good idea to attempt any contact with aliens. 

But I love any movie which challenges the scope of what we believe as facts about science, space and life!   There aren't many that do it, and even fewer that do it well.   Prometheus with all its flaws was highly enjoyed in my house!   Looking forward to the extra director's cut footage on Tuesday!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Prometheus
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
Sounds great to me.  Thanks for the heads up.  Just added to my Netflix Queue.

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »
This movie is very good, all about a possible future, our past, grounded in solid character development with classic sci-fi ambiance of Alien and Blade Runner.  It's all the things modern action movies lack (i.e., they insert action for anything tangible... see the Total Recall remake if you want an example).

I don't know how if it was truly "successful" at the box office but in a moderately disappointing summer of movies, but it was one of the best.  I won't talk it up too much because it's probably not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it in IMAX 3D.

Offline Pinfever

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
my take on the movie is such as this review . 
Prometheus: Mind-Blowing Analysis of the Film's Symbolism by Eugene Baldovino

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
This movie is very good, all about a possible future, our past, grounded in solid character development with classic sci-fi ambiance of Alien and Blade Runner.  It's all the things modern action movies lack (i.e., they insert action for anything tangible... see the Total Recall remake if you want an example).

I don't know how if it was truly "successful" at the box office but in a moderately disappointing summer of movies, but it was one of the best.  I won't talk it up too much because it's probably not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it in IMAX 3D.

SPOILER ALERT --- anyone who still hasn't seen Prometheus do so NOW before reading further!

Anyone see the extras?    I really liked the extended scene when they woke up the last engineer!  I didn't like the axe battle scenes at the end, though, and thought that was a wise cut.  

I'm not sure how much of the Ancient Alien thing I really believe, as there are just too many holes in those theories for me.  

As for the characters in Prometheus, Shaw was the most well-developed character of course.   But I had a problem with the Biologist and Geologist as characters.   Ok, so they aren't afraid to go into this unknown hollow igloo structure, but once inside and they find the most historic discovery of mankind, something any true scientist would collapse into convulsions over, they barely even look at it and want to flee to the ship, even with the scanners picking up no immediate danger or lifeforms at that time.   Things like this pull me out of the story, the illusion of the film, when characters act in bizarre ways contrary to themselves as they've been portrayed.   And of course you could say their fear of the decapitated engineer whose been dead for 2000 years is just showing you how cautious and spineless these two scientists are, right?  Wrong, because when they see an alien snake which rises up like a cobra at the biologist, he immediately thinks "I must forego cautious observation and immediately get closer to and *pet* this dangerous looking alien snake who is showing what would be agression in any snake form I've ever encountered!"   Yeah.   And of course later the immediate agreement of the two highly intelligent pilots, with smiles, to martyr themselves on a whim, seemingly without any doubts or reservations or last-minute alternative brain-storming.   The fact that the heiress is a scheming survivor who cherishes her life above all else, but runs in a straight line for 50 yards in the shadow of the ship rolling at her like a tire, rather than run 30 feet perpindicular to safety.   There were a few more character problems for me, but like I said, overall small complaints in an amazing movie which really makes you think.   But those were those moments where I was pulled out of the story because my mind road-bumped on the characters acting out-of-character, either melodramatic or contrary to their portrayal.  

I read an essay called "Why Haven't Aliens Contacted Us?" from itunes, which is free for anyone with a tablet.   It gives some pretty compelling arguments as to why we might very well be alone as intelligent life, even though the existence of other life present or past in the universe is considered a given these days.  Intelligent life might be a little different.

Prometheus, despite the character flaws, was the movie of the year for me.   I've been recommended the Lost Book of Enki in discussions with others about Prometheus, and while I'm a big skeptic on the Ancient Alien thing, it sounds like it might be a cool read.

Cheers!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL