Author Topic: Playoff Predictions...  (Read 4862 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Playoff Predictions...
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »
There are some tough games to pick coming up!

Colts/Ravens-   I don't know why, maybe because of the unity the Colts seem to feel, and the changeup at OC and inconsistency with the Ravens (as well as their injuries) but something tells me this could be an upset.  I still believe Luck is the MVP this year.   I know he has those INTs, and I know AP had a season for the ages, but Luck essentially took the same team who had 2 wins last year and got them to 11 wins this year.   The way he moves in the pocket is like a 10 year vet.   He doesn't have an Alfred Morris, Ray Rice, AP, or Arian Foster, either.  Almost talking myself out of picking them now, but going to go with the Colts. 

Begals/Texans- Bengals.  Bengals D is playing better overall right now, and Dalton has the O making plays when they need it.   Texans are struggling and injured, Shaub looks shellshocked and not making reads.  Even at home I can't favor the Texans right now.  Tough call though, that stadium is going to be rocking.  Dalton's day to move to the next tier of QB's if he wins. 

Seahawks/Redskins-  A Dallas team injured on both sides of the ball could've beaten them last week with one final drive for a TD, basically not being able to stop the run even a little, and running the ball themselves even less.   Redskins are a good team, but I think Seattle matches up well with them, even on the road, and takes this one.   Seattle's D plays solid.  Lynch is a beast, and Wilson runs that read option great himself.  RG3 comes back to reality, maybe.  This will be a fun one to watch!   Seattle goes to the SB from the NFC. 

Vikings/Packers- AP looked fresh even on that final run last week.  I think he's ready to keep at it this week, and they obviously are able to open some holes for him against the Pack.  Aaron Rodgers is going to get his points, but when AP's running like that, the Vikings over match the Packers by keeping Rodgers off the field and controlling the ball.  Viks are playing exactly how they did when Farve had them to the Championship game a few years back.  Running the ball and getting pressure with that front four on D.   It might be the Vikings' year.   Tough pick, but I'm going with the Viks. 

The great thing about the NFL is that I could see every pick being wrong, and argue why they will be.  :)  It's going to be a fun playoffs!

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
Re: Playoff Predictions...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
There are some tough games to pick coming up!

Colts/Ravens-   I don't know why, maybe because of the unity the Colts seem to feel, and the changeup at OC and inconsistency with the Ravens (as well as their injuries) but something tells me this could be an upset.  I still believe Luck is the MVP this year.   I know he has those INTs, and I know AP had a season for the ages, but Luck essentially took the same team who had 2 wins last year and got them to 11 wins this year.   The way he moves in the pocket is like a 10 year vet.   He doesn't have an Alfred Morris, Ray Rice, AP, or Arian Foster, either.  Almost talking myself out of picking them now, but going to go with the Colts. 

Begals/Texans- Bengals.  Bengals D is playing better overall right now, and Dalton has the O making plays when they need it.   Texans are struggling and injured, Shaub looks shellshocked and not making reads.  Even at home I can't favor the Texans right now.  Tough call though, that stadium is going to be rocking.  Dalton's day to move to the next tier of QB's if he wins. 

Seahawks/Redskins-  A Dallas team injured on both sides of the ball could've beaten them last week with one final drive for a TD, basically not being able to stop the run even a little, and running the ball themselves even less.   Redskins are a good team, but I think Seattle matches up well with them, even on the road, and takes this one.   Seattle's D plays solid.  Lynch is a beast, and Wilson runs that read option great himself.  RG3 comes back to reality, maybe.  This will be a fun one to watch!   Seattle goes to the SB from the NFC. 

Vikings/Packers- AP looked fresh even on that final run last week.  I think he's ready to keep at it this week, and they obviously are able to open some holes for him against the Pack.  Aaron Rodgers is going to get his points, but when AP's running like that, the Vikings over match the Packers by keeping Rodgers off the field and controlling the ball.  Viks are playing exactly how they did when Farve had them to the Championship game a few years back.  Running the ball and getting pressure with that front four on D.   It might be the Vikings' year.   Tough pick, but I'm going with the Viks. 

The great thing about the NFL is that I could see every pick being wrong, and argue why they will be.  :)  It's going to be a fun playoffs!

Wow, you are predicting 4 road wins in the playoffs!  I'll go along with the Colts winning but will go with the home team in the other three games.  AP is awesome but these days the NFL rules are geared towards the passing game.  There has not been a Super Bowl champ with an elite RB since Marshall Faulk with the Rams.  But they also had Kurt Warner.  Nowadays it's the Mannings, Brady, and Roethlisberger who win the titles.

MVP: Peyton Manning will win it easily.  He came back with a new team after being out of football for a year and got the #1 seed.  He should easily win the award.

Rookie of the Year:  Tough decision between Luck, Wilson, and RGIII.  Trent Richardson had a solid year but has no chance at the award.  Luck was twice a bridesmaid in the Heisman and will once again be second.  This time it will be to Wilson and not RGIII.  All three have a chance at the award but the Redskins won two games with Cousins, their other rookie qb.  Wilson surprised a lot of people while Luck did what many thought he would do.

Why was Lovie Smith fired and Rex Ryan still have a job (for now)?  The Bears are going to take a step back after this change.  Hopefully the Jags find a decent GM.  Why are they looking at Arizona when they have done nothing lately?

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »
LOL Yeah, I didn't realize they were all four road picks until they were all typed out, just knew they were all four upset picks.   That'd be unprecendented to have 4/4 road wins in a playoff weekend.   

The Bengals just went into Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers in a must-win game for Pittsburgh.    The Vikings just went into Houston and put it to the Texans and AP only had 80 yrds, and I think they are a more complete team than the Packers are right now.   The Colts is just a gut pick, and I like Luck a lot as a player and the story of the Colts this season.   Seattle is that team which seems to be peaking at the right time, with a great balance of running, passing and solid D.   

The odds are way against me, but I'm sticking!  :)
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »
Those are all tough picks... I'll just go with a gut

Colts/Ravens - Ravens are hit and miss after injuries on defense, and Colts are a Cinderella story, so it'll be more fun to root for the Colts.  Colts.

Bengals/Texans - Texans should take it, but the Bengals could surprise them.  Texans.

Seahawks/Redskins- Seahawks have had some great outings this year, and even the oddsmakers have them as the only visiting favorite, and I agree.  Seahawks

Vikings/Packers- Packers are good in the playoffs, and should have the edge here.  Packers

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:36 PM »
I'm going with the Colts, Texans, Seahawks and Packers.   These are all really tough games to call though.  Have to basically go by gut feel...

Should be an awesome weekend of football!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »
Well, Dalton stays in the 2nd tier.   He had Green open for the GWTD but couldn't drop it in.   

And nobody told me Ponder wasn't going to play!  Game over!  Ugh, the Vikings-Packers game was a huge letdown with Webb. 

Let's hope the upsets come on Sunday!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »
Well, no upsets yet!   

So the Vikings lose their starting QB hours before their game, and what happens today?  The Colts lose their OC hours before their game!!!  I mean, WTF is happening! 

Also, the Colts really screwed up early on when Wayne caught that ball at the 10yrd line and it was ruled incomplete.  It was a catch, should've challenged!  Take a TO and have a look at it!   They ended up turning the ball over a few plays later.  Pivotal bad decision.   

The loss of Arians was a terrible blow to the team, and noticeable on the offensive sputters, the guy who called every play all season long.  They also went to no huddle too late in the game, should've started it right after the half when they had momentum on a few of those drives.    Felt bad for the team, the Colts were my Cinderella pick this year. 

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »
Add rg3 to the missing qb issues. Had he been at full health the seahawks looked vulnerable. No real surprises this week otherwise. I thought the Colts had a chance but it was a cinderella pick for most.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
Well, I'm not going to overthink the ones this week, just first thought picks...

Pats, Broncos, Packers and Falcons.   

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »
Pats, Broncos, Packers and Seahawks.

I'd like to see the Falcons get over the playoff hump, but the Seahawks seem to be hot.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »
So far it's Raven and 49ers.   WTF happened to the Broncos?  Too many excuses, but maybe it boils down to Manning still carrying the cold weather curse that the Pats thrived on?  He was definitely not himself, missing targets, fumbling, throwing picks, and he even kneeled at the end of regulation rather than use his 2 timeouts to try to get into field goal range to win it.

I'm thinking Pats and Seahawks tomorrow.... but Falcons look good too, that's a toss up game.

Pats vs 49ers in Superbowl?  Would be a good game!

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:41:15 AM »
Those were two great games yesterday.  The Niners blew it out late, but it was exciting.  The Ravens/Broncos games was one for the ages.  I was rooting for the Ravens and I'm glad to see Ray Lewis get at least one more game.  Considering his injury I had wondered if he could really have an impact beyond the obvious morale lift to his team mates.  His 17 tackles yesterday certainly answered that question.

I have a lot of work to do today.  I need to try to be done before the Seahawks/Falcons game.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »
Very good games!  Broncos made a lot of key mistakes, the biggest at the end of regulation, calling three benign running plays designed to run the clock and not much else.   3rd and 7, if you get 7 yards then the game is over, you can kneel it out.  So they run the same play again, get stopped and put their Defense back on the field with 1:30 left, a Defense who had problems stopping big pass plays all day.  Just terrible game management and play calling.  It's the playoffs, play to WIN, don't play to 'not lose'.   

I was happy to see Ray get another game, as well.   But I get frustrated with poor play calling like that.  We were all watching the game, and Rosie was playing XM and looked back at the tv on that last Broncos regulation possesion and after the 2nd consecutive running play she said what we were all thinking, "They are going to regret that!".  Then after the third consecutive run, on 3rd and 7, you could feel the energy just completely sucked out of the Broncos.  It was a pivotal poor playcalling on that final series with a chance to win the game with a 1st down.   

Packers D could not contain Kaepernick on those read options, and that incredible 49ers O-line dominated the Packers the entire game, just brutalized them.   The muffed punt which gift wrapped 7 for the 49ers killed their momentum early, when they had the lead.   You can't give away points on the road in the playoffs and expect to win.   49ers D is for real.   Who do you think the 49ers are rooting for today?   Seahawks complately owned them a few weeks ago, granted in Seattle, but the Falcons would have home field.   The NFC championship game is going to be a great one either way, can't wait.

I'm picking the Falcons and the Pats today (which means the Texans and the Seahawks are virtual locks!!  Can't pick em this year!  Which usually means you're watching good football games!)  ;)

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
Yea, it's interesting to note they made it a point in the broadcast to explain how Broncos OC Mike McCoy had already been interviewing with other teams for HC positions.  Shouldn't that be done AFTER the season?  This game didn't help unless he was overridden on the questionable plays, but effectively Fox is being blame for his ... wait for it... "conservative play calling."  :)

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
I'm hoping for two epic games this weekend.  How cool would it be to see Ray Lewis beat Manning and then Brady in his last playoff run?

Fingers crossed that neither game is a blowout.  I'm picking the Niners and the Pats.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City