Author Topic: Playoff Predictions...  (Read 5276 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Playoff Predictions...
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »
I'm hoping for two epic games this weekend.  How cool would it be to see Ray Lewis beat Manning and then Brady in his last playoff run?

Fingers crossed that neither game is a blowout.  I'm picking the Niners and the Pats.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to pick the Pats and Falcons.   

It's just impossible to pick against the Pats at home, and I'd love to see Ray go out that way, against Brady, in Foxsborough??  That'd be his Super Bowl right there.  But Darth Belechick will have a great gameplan, and I just don't think Flacco can make all of those big throws again this week.   

As for the NFC, I liked the way the Falcons pulled together last week against a really tough team (remember the Seahawks embarassed the 49ers just a couple weeks ago).  I'm worried about the Falcons D line getting abused, though.   The 49ers O line is probably second to none right now, maybe to the Pats.   I think Ryan will be able to stretch the field against the 49ers, which is the key to breaking that D as we saw in the Seahawks game.   But the 49ers will definitely put up points and break some big plays.  Crabtree has been the best WR in the league the 2nd half of the season with Kaepernick, and that read option will break out several big runs no doubt.   Kaepernick might be the most physically gifted QB in football right now, moreso than RG3 or Luck even, because of his arm on the run.  But Ryan is really smart at running that offense and making adjustments and audibles on big plays.  And the noise will be incredible for Kaepernick getting the calls from the sidelines (once again, remember the Seattle game!) in tough pressure situations.   Lots of yings and yangs...

I don't think either game will be a blowout!  I think both matchups could make for epic Championship games!  Can't wait!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »
I am looking for Lewis and the Ravens go down in flames in NE this week after knocking my team out and making a less interesting AFC championship than another classic Manning vs Brady match up. Ravens play the pats well, so it shouldn't be a blowout but it would be crazy to pick against "the machine" that is the Patriots.

I have no idea who to pick in the NFC championship. I've been assuming the 49ers are the better team after years of the Falcons floundering after being one of the best on paper. I'll pick 49ers but if the falcons play like they have they should win.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
Well, in keeping with my playoff predictions this year!  lol

Looks to be a slightly bland SB, although I am glad for Ray Lewis.   It's just that leading up to the Championship games these storylines (Ray Lewis, Kaepernick the rookie, and Harbowl possibilities) were already combed over to death.  Not to mention the brothers thing being played out in the playoff hype last year as well!  Wake me up when it's gametime, it'll be a great game with terribly played out storylines leading up to it.   
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
I have done a terrible job predicting who is going to win in the playoffs.  It has been very unpredictable as there is parity amongst the top teams.  Unfortunately, I am apathetic about both teams that are in the Super Bowl.  I really don't like Ray Lewis and will be glad when he finally retires.  I wish Tony Gonzalez could have made it to a Super Bowl.  Once again the Falcons blew a big lead and this time could not pull out a last minute win.

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
Well I got the 49ers...never imagined the Ravens would beat both the Broncos and Patriots but they did. I think the 49ers match up better with the Ravens so I'll lean towards the 49ers.

I don't see a compelling story here.. Both teams have super bowl wins... Ray Lewis has never played for a team I care about but it should be a good match up to watch.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:13 AM »
The Niners look to be the slightly better team, but I am still going with the Ravens.   I just have a feeling that they are destined to win it all this year.  This could be one of the best Super Bowls ever.  I expect a lot of scoring, long plays, and lead changes.  As usual I will hope that it is not a blow out.  Also looking forward to the commercials!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
I've picked the 49ers all playoffs and against the Ravens... But now it looks like a dead even match up. With two good defenses I expect only mid level scoring.

I will go 49ers for this one and simply hope for a good game.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
I think 49ers win, but it'd be nice to see the Ravens win and Lewis get a great send out. 
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »
While I wait for the power failure and the lights to come on I will note the the Superbowl needs to get back to having good music at halftime.  Beyonce was absolutely terrible as was Madonna last year and Springsteen three years ago.  Sheesh.  Need something spectacular next year to make up for this.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »
Like what? I can't remember the last halftime show I said "wow" to.

And have the Ravens dominated the game or what? Maybe some garbage scores to go... But I've watched flacco for years and I can't believe how he changed in the playoffs.. Very confident and accurate.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »
Wow, what a great game!

Guess who had the SB square with SF-1 and BAL-4 ??  ;) ;)   We are sitting there through the fourth quarter going "Ok, two touchdowns by the Ravens, and two field goals by the Niners..." because I had 5 boxes and I was trying to make the math work on one of them, but I kept coming back to "Well, a safety would do it in this square...." without much hope.   :)   Well, when Simms piped in with the safety strategy my ears twitched, and I was like "Yes, that's a GREAT idea!"  and it actually was.   What a great way to end the season, a really good game as well!

Beyonce was just like Madonna, good not great, predictable, a non-offensive choreographed lip-synched halftime show.   Halftime shows aren't "Stay glued to your seat" anymore, it's time to make a fresh snack plate and take an intermission from the sofa!

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
Beyonce did not lip sync the halftime show... Though there is talk about one or both of the TLC girls doing it.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »
Beyonce did not lip sync the halftime show... Though there is talk about one or both of the TLC girls doing it.

Sure looked like she did, although I wasn't paying a lot of attention.   I know she had a live mic for the "hello cleveland" parts, but I guarantee there was a backing track doing most of the vocals and she was maybe assisting them at best with her mic.   That's a normal trick of 'live' music these days and it does fool a lot of people. 
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
The game itself was a lot of fun.  What a huge opening play!  How do you line up in an illegal formation in the first play of the Super Bowl?  Considering that a 20+ yard play was negated by the penalty there was a big swing in momentum right there on the opening play.  The numbers for Flacco were amazing throughout the playoffs.  Glad to see Ray get another ring.

As for the halftime show...  I couldn't tell if she was singing live.  My big problem is that I didn't recognize a single song she played.  At least with Madonna I knew some of the songs and could tap my toe to it despite not liking her music in the least.  Rihanna put on a MUCH better show at the NBA All Star Game halftime a couple of years back..  The Who, Petty, Stones, McCartney and especially Prince were great shows.  Even the Black Eyed Peas were not bad.  They were off that night, but they still have songs that everyone recognizes and fit the venue.  I turned the TV off for Springsteen because I will rather have knitting needles in both ears that hear that terrible caterwauling. 

Lets tie this thread into pinball and let me be the first to ask for AC/DC at next year's Super Bowl.

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
Lets tie this thread into pinball and let me be the first to ask for AC/DC at next year's Super Bowl.

I was thinking the same thing... much better than anyone in recent memory. 

The string of the Who/Petty/Stones/McCartney assume the average NFL audience member is 60+, or else, like Stern, they only want certified multi-decade stars for some guarantee of success, but Superbowl is different than pinball, they can afford to bring in the latest hottest acts.  I think Beyonce basically fits the bill, yet it is her 3rd superbowl...