Author Topic: Questions about FLiPS league format/participation  (Read 2437 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Questions about FLiPS league format/participation
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
To Jeff or whomever, I had a few questions about the Flips events, since you guys seem to be the most successful league in the region.

How many players typically attend?   What percentage of the Flips members attend any given event?

How many hosts do you have?   How long is the 'season'?   Are the Flips events typically about the same length/participation as a daily Asylum tourney?  Less games/less qualifying time? 

I'm toying with the idea of trying to help jumpstart a N FL league, but have never had any experience with it.   Just testing the water to see if we have what it takes in the area up here, and how much of a PITA it would be to start and keep the league running.   

I've noticed the members of Flips to be the most consistent players at the top of the tournies since I've started playing competitively (little over a year), and I think that sort of monthly competition is very useful in keeping your spirit/nerves in check, not to mention good practice against many different players, on different machines, in different environments, etc.   

It just seems like a fun time, and any advice on avoiding pitfalls that you all have already experienced would be appreciated!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
Re: Questions about FLiPS league format/participation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
To Jeff or whomever, I had a few questions about the Flips events, since you guys seem to be the most successful league in the region.

How many players typically attend?   What percentage of the Flips members attend any given event?

How many hosts do you have?   How long is the 'season'?   Are the Flips events typically about the same length/participation as a daily Asylum tourney?  Less games/less qualifying time? 

I'm toying with the idea of trying to help jumpstart a N FL league, but have never had any experience with it.   Just testing the water to see if we have what it takes in the area up here, and how much of a PITA it would be to start and keep the league running.   

I've noticed the members of Flips to be the most consistent players at the top of the tournies since I've started playing competitively (little over a year), and I think that sort of monthly competition is very useful in keeping your spirit/nerves in check, not to mention good practice against many different players, on different machines, in different environments, etc.   

It just seems like a fun time, and any advice on avoiding pitfalls that you all have already experienced would be appreciated!

Thanks for asking! Of course Jason (or anyone reading this), feel free to just call me or PM me :)

Some stats:

FLiPS has about 20 members, meaning they are regular attenders and/or have hosted.

At a typical FLiPS event, the average amount of FLiPS members in attendance is 13.  This does NOT include guests, spouses etc. There have been events with many more folks. It is a function of space. As explained in the FAQ, the number of members is capped at around 20 so that every member is assured to be invited to every FLiPS event.  Some venues are small and cannot house 50 people.

Since January 2011, we have had 27 events (mostly once per month) and the typical member has been to 18 of those events.

FLiPS has about 9-10 different unique venues/hosts in a year with some members hosting more than once.  It varies and there are no assigned slots. Some simply cannot host, but they help in other ways. Over the past year we have had some newcomers get more involved and want to host. Some people have offered to host one-time events just to have a FLiPS gathering.  Very generous of them IMO and speaks well for the group and the community down here.

FLiPS has been labeled on the 2 Florida groups as a "league".  I never really contested the label, but we are not a league in the traditional sense that people think. We are not competing for a year-end result. There is no "season" but I do keep track of, and post the results of every tourney so people can see what is going on.  Every tourney is stand alone and are not for WPPR points or for money or any major prize.

FLiPS tourney formats are varied.  It is not always a tournament type that you may be familiar with say at the APE, GW, SPF, Asylum etc.  We do that type of format sometimes on a shortened timeframe, but in the interest of time we try to have shorter tourneys that allow for free play and socializing as well.  You can see some of the formats we have had by perusing the FLiPS boards of previous events.

I appreciate your recognizing some of the talented players in FLiPS. We do have a lot of good players, but not everyone in FLiPS is highly competitive and some of our good players don't even participate in the state tourneys.

FLiPS tries to have a variety of formats, some silly and fun, some more serious and traditional to give a variety to all the members and encourage people to play.  A lot of it depends on what the host wants to do.  I never tell people what type of tournament to have and FLiPS is not regulated that way.

I think it is important that the tourneys do vary so that it allows for different winners and encourages participation from all present. We have had some tourneys where people (a guest, spouse etc.) were sure they did not want to compete and they did, and when they did they had a blast. I have designed some elaborate team tournaments for that sole purpose.  I do not want every event I host to be a cut-throat competition. 

If hosts ask for my counsel on a FLiPS event they want to run, I try to point out potential flaws in the tournaments. One example could be lopsided scoring (For example if someone wants to add AFM points to a 60's EM game).  There are other scenarios that can pop up that may not have even been considered by the TD. Sometimes we have to resolve those on the spot once the format is explained.

One of the main things I look out for (when asked) is too long of a tourney event.  Conversely you want to make sure it is not too short where it begs the question why even have a tourney. (Ok, everybody plunge one ball, don't flip, walk away and high score wins).   Some folks have had great ideas, but not necessarily practical for an afternoon setting with 15 players or more ready to compete.  Sometimes I do not know what the format is until I arrive.  Not all decisions have to be "approved" by me or anyone.

Lastly typical FLiPS hosts have 5 or more working games (often many more than that!) A quick rule of thumb is:

Recommended number of working machines = people in attendance/maximum amount of players that can play a machine

So for 20 FLiPS members and a typical 4 player modern game 20/4 = 5 games

I appreciate the interest in FLiPS and the compliments.  I do not mind answering questions, or talking about pinball formats etc. I encourage it.

FLiPS is a fun time and our group is very dedicated. 

Best success to your group.
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
Thanks Jeff!   Very imformative!   

It's tough to gauge the interest in the N FL scene so far.   Cody Miller was/is running the monthly tournament at Young Loud and Snotty, but he started it last Fall (just as the NFL season began) and the tournaments ran on Sundays (yes).   So I still haven't attended one of those (for me, the NFL is the only sport I follow).   The players/collectors up here seem to be a little more lethargic as a whole about hosting/participating but that could loosen up once they see how much fun it is.   I have people over to play my machines at least once a month or so, and have been doing that for many years now.  Expanding that into a structured competition, and expanding the participation and hosting, seems to be the challenge.   Sprinkling in the goofy/fun tournaments, as well as the team formats, sounds like a really good idea.  I planted a few seeds, so we'll see what happens...  Thanks again!

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »
I decided to sticky this topic.

I've been getting more interest from players in other Florida regions about forming pinball clubs/leagues.

Awesome!

Any questions, ask away.

Jeff

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
It is amazing what has happened to Florida Pinball in the last few years!!

Living in Cocoa, I am at a crossroads between FLiPS and POPS.  Now there may be another league North of me?  Wow.  Too bad the Space Coast doesn't seem to have enough collectors to have a rotation.  Once my house is done I think I will host a tournament once or twice a year here in Cocoa and invite people from all the other leagues.  Considering the driving distance, I won't be too worried about having more people than I can handle...but you never know.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
It is amazing what has happened to Florida Pinball in the last few years!!

Living in Cocoa, I am at a crossroads between FLiPS and POPS.  Now there may be another league North of me?  Wow.  Too bad the Space Coast doesn't seem to have enough collectors to have a rotation.  Once my house is done I think I will host a tournament once or twice a year here in Cocoa and invite people from all the other leagues.  Considering the driving distance, I won't be too worried about having more people than I can handle...but you never know.

I keep getting private emails from folks wanting to start potential pinball clubs in various locations in Florida and asking me how FLiPS operates.

I answer all questions I can trying to help the cause.

This state is turning into a pinball behemoth :)

anything