Author Topic: Metallica Pro  (Read 1362 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Metallica Pro
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:46 PM »
First quick thoughts off the top of my head...

Plays really fast.  Familiar feel, like a game you've shot before.. but not quite.   Sort of shoots and flows like ACDC, but feels much more... solid, for lack of a better word. 

The ramp shots are solid and sweet feeling, similar to MB ramp feel...and with the scoop right next to it.   Fast kickback out of the scoop, which is nice, not a time killer... in the scoop/BAM right back at the left flipper.   

Great loops both direction, though I wish it orbited by default... you have to open the orbit ala AFM.   But I looped 3x in a row in both directions in one of my first games, a great sign of a flowing intuitive layout.   It honestly feels like your playing a Ritchie game, Getaway/T2/NF/ACDC feel to the flow and shots.

Multis are plentiful, and some at least are stackable.  I had one great cross/coffin stacked multi that was a seriously lucrative.  Love the inline drops, with the retro pinball becoming more in fashion it was only a matter of time before these were brought back.  Great job and implemented in a nice shot.   Sparky is great, sort of the typical gimmee shot up the middle and the multi everyone should be able to get every game.  But great voice work, cracks you up when he's getting shocked lol. 

The art isn't my style, but it's *really* nice quality.   I might say this is Stern's best machine ever if the Premium impresses that much more.   Between the solid metal ramps, original high quality art, etc.... it really doesn't look or feel like a typical Stern, as close to a 90's B/W machine's feel as I can remember. 

If you're looking for something to break up all the fan layouts you have, with new ingenious/inventive shots, this isn't really what it does.   It's more about perfecting that fan layout.  I thought ACDC was the best fan layout since the 90's.   I think this one is better.   

For songs, I chose FWTBT almost every time.  Surreal in that I've played so much pinball to that song, in my ears in tournies, blasting in my living room when I play, etc... that to hear it actually coming out of the machine is trippy.  Love it.  Oh and the Justice For All hurry up was nice, had some sort of progression but I never got past 3-4 shots ever.   The Coffin Hurry-up is redonkulous points.   I saw Eric hit it for over 20M once, if I'm not mistaken.   Not going to comment on the ruleset bc too early, but it's very multiball-centric and stackable.  Early impressions are big thumbs up, can't wait to put more time on it.  Whether or not the ruleset holds up is something else.   But so far, so good.  (So what! ....no wrong band)  ;)     

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
Re: Metallica Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
Nice commentary with a classic Megadeth reference at the end :)

Thanks!

Looking forward to playing it.
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
Thanks for the review.  This game really looks great.  Hey, any game with inline drops is ok by me!!   Good to see that Stern is getting such great level of play out of the Pro machines.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Mole

• Kingpin
    • SouthWest Florida Pinball Avenue
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:43:35 AM »
Thanks for the play by play. I look forward to finding one and playing.
SW Florida Pinball Avenue http://pinballavenue.blogspot.com/
The Pinball Asylum http://www.pinballasylum.com/

Offline Naf

• Quicksilver
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »
Very much looking forward to this pinball machine. Sounds like a good solid pinball!

Offline doghouse

• Kingpin
  • Have You Had Your Shot Of Pinball Today?
    • The Pinball Asylum
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »
The more I see of this game, and the more I hear reviews like yours, the more I am am excited to play one. And maybe own a premium.  Thanks for the early review!
When in Fort Myers, visit THE PINBALL ASYLUM!

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
By the way, I read in another thread the "20 Million" Coffin Hurry-Up is incorrectly displayed on the dots, and that in reality you get 1.5 Million.   Little difference there.   Not out of the ordinary for Stern's first software release to have scoring glitches, and I was suspicious of it because although I hadn't checked Eric's score before he hit it, afterwards it didn't feel like he'd just gotten 20 Mil.   Anyway, don't get overly excited about the Coffin hurry-up because it's not as redonk as we thought!   

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
By the way, I read in another thread the "20 Million" Coffin Hurry-Up is incorrectly displayed on the dots, and that in reality you get 1.5 Million.   Little difference there.   Not out of the ordinary for Stern's first software release to have scoring glitches, and I was suspicious of it because although I hadn't checked Eric's score before he hit it, afterwards it didn't feel like he'd just gotten 20 Mil.   Anyway, don't get overly excited about the Coffin hurry-up because it's not as redonk as we thought!

Somehow I feel the torch and pitchfork crowd will be "slightly" more forgiving toward Lyman for initial scoring glitches :)
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

anything