Author Topic: Valhalla Rising  (Read 1255 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Valhalla Rising
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »
I really can't recommend this movie, because it's such an odd and at times violent movie, but does anyone else who has seen it have an opinion on it?

It's a very strange movie, but oddly compelling.  Not to spoil it for anyone but I was captivated as the story unfolded, and it does a great job of engaging the viewer without much dialogue.   It's definitely not a social movie, or one for kids or the squeamish.   It's a solitary thoughtful viewing experience that's pretty darn strange.   The reviews of it online are pretty much "This was a brilliant film!" or "This was the worst movie I've ever seen!"  LOL 

But leaves you really wanting to discuss it with someone else who's seen it!!   I enjoy odd movies like this one from time to time, which are just complete curveballs when you're sick of seeing the same predictable movies again and again.

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline doghouse

• Kingpin
  • Have You Had Your Shot Of Pinball Today?
    • The Pinball Asylum
Re: Valhalla Rising
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
I like off-beat movies, so I'd probably see this just based on your description and review. But on top of that, I see this is the same director that made the movie "Bronson" (nothing to do with Charles Bronson).  Bronson was a strange and very violent film, but extremely compelling.

"Bronson" was a biopic of the most violent criminal in British history who spent 30+ years in solitary because of his wild behavior. Lots of fights in and out of prison-- he was also a bare-knuckle fighter. The lead actor also played Bane in The "Dark Knight Rises," and was very interesting to watch.  I'm definitely going to see "Valhalla" when it comes around. Thanks for the recommendation.
When in Fort Myers, visit THE PINBALL ASYLUM!

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
Hmm, I will have to watch Bronson then, just out of curiosity.   He's a different filmmaker, that's for sure.

By the way, Valhalla is out now... it was released a few years ago.    I got it on my ipad last night, and watched it with headphones.    I wasn't sure whether to rent or buy, but the reviews were so contrasting that I figured I'd buy it so I could see it more than once.    It's definitely rentable, but since you already know you like the filmmaker I'd go ahead and buy it so you can rewatch it.  I have it playing on the tv in my office now while I'm working on my reports and I already noticed a couple subtle things I didn't pick up on the first watch...
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 12:17:31 AM »
Same Director that also did DRIVE and the forthcoming ONLY GOD FORGIVES.

I've liked all his films because they are done differently from the norm, and he draws great actors.
Albert Brooks in DRIVE should have been nominated for, and should have won, a best supporting actor oscar.
Supposedly Kristin Scott Thomas in OGF also gives an outstanding performance.

Spencer