Author Topic: For as little as $5, compete against the BEST IN THE WORLD!  (Read 1966 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
For as little as $5, compete against the BEST IN THE WORLD!
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »
The SPF is coming in less than a week!

If the past 2 years have been an indicator, some of the BEST pinball players in the world will be in attendance in our back yard and more are coming!

Bowen Kerins who is the current WORLD PINBALL CHAMPION played here with us last year and will likely be present this year.

Some other big household names in the pinball world have also been at previous SPF tourneys: The Sharpe family: Josh, Zach and Roger Sharpe, Lyman Sheats of STERN, Keith Johnson of JJP (2 awesome programmers), Mark Steinman of PAPA and many, many A-list players!

The SPF is the last of the PAPA Pinball Circuit Series for 2013, so there will be some world class pinball action at SPF.

For only $5 you can buy a single game entry. This will rank your game score against ALL of the competitors on that single game.

Where else can you say you were in the same location and competed against the best in the world for $5!

For the finer tourney print:

Since the idea of most tourneys is to record your best score on each of the games in the bank (typically 5 games), it is recommended that if you are trying to qualify, that 2 entries of 3 games for $10 are purchased. Or you could pay $5 x 5 games for $25 which costs more money.

So while $5 gives you a taste of competing with the best players on a single game, $20 will buy a COMPLETE ENTRY where you are now ranked against every player on every game.  This is the way to go.

What does my $20 get me?

1. $20 will allow you to play each game in the bank once, plus you can play one do-over game (Only your best score counts on the repeat game). 

The $20 (5 best games) will generate a "composite score" that will be ranked against everyone in the tourney. (Top 16 composite scores move on to finals).

Essentially all of the competitors playing will be trying to generate a composite score based on the 5 games.

So even if you only pay $20, and other people throw $100s of dollars in tries, you will have a composite score for only $20.

2. You will be playing/competing and get ranked against the BEST PINBALL PLAYERS in the world!

3. You will be playing/competing and get ranked against all of your Florida pinball friends.

4. You will get IFPA/WPPR points for a world ranking www.ifpapinball.com

5. You will get IFPA/WPPR points for a state ranking. (Top 16 state players compete in the Florida State Pinball Championships.  www.ifpapinball.com

6. Did I mention you will be in the same room at the same time competing against the BEST PINBALL PLAYERS in the world?

7. Lastly: $20 buys a lot of fun, memories and a chance to hang out and talk pinball with people you might not otherwise see.  Who knows, you might get the competitive pinball bug!

NOTE: $5 will also earn a composite score and IFPA points, but your composite score will be only based on one game, which is like taking 1 out of 5 tests in a school subject and getting a grade.

In any case, for only $5 you can at least say you played with the best pinball players in the world!

Join us!

See you soon!

Jeff
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: For as little as $5, compete against the BEST IN THE WORLD!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
I'll be pretty busy working and enjoying other aspects of the show.  For one I am handling the speakers and trying to make sure all the presentations go smoothly from a technical aspect.  I'll also hav six machines to maintain.  I won't have enough time to chop enough wood to even think about qualifying.   Jeff - your speech has me inspired to play a few ten dollar sheets just to get my name on the board.  Never know, I might throw up a couple of crazy scores and decides to do a little more chopping.

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »
Glad I could inspire you. :)

See you in a few days !

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
My gut feeling and belief is that the best in the world includes the original poster of this thread.  He just needs to play at more events so that he believes it too.

Offline bcd

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »
Without question.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:35:22 PM »
I played the three games that came with my VIP pass plus $20 more and ended up in 37th place.  Not feeling too bad about that!  It was awesome to see the top players in the game here this weekend.  It was even more awesome to see Jeff stand toe-to-toe with them!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
Thank you all for the support! I am back from vacation and wanted to share some of my thoughts on the SPF tourney.

It was a pretty awesome feeling to be in the final 4 at the 2013 SPF to begin with, let alone with that group of players. When I looked back at it, I realized my final 4 group consisted of:

1 Bowen Kerins-The current world champion 
2 Zach Sharpe-The current number one ranked player in the world (and won SPF 2011)
3 Steve Bowden-Last year's SPF champion and ranked 16th in the world
4 Me

I know my final round of play was simply not very good-I did not feel I played up to my potential as I had many other better games on those exact machines. 

At the SPF quarter and semi-final rounds I felt at times my play was actually decent for finals matches. In an early round, I came in 3rd on ST with a 51 MIL score.  That was not a trivial score, but the competition was tough.

I did however feel I made some good choices along the way-like choosing Joker Poker in a clutch situation and winning the game. I know some people thought I would go with a modern game, but I knew I could play JP decently and that my group was not a big fan of that game.  Some people caught that game live and it was nice to get a call right after saying "good job".

I felt that my ACDC semi-finals game with Bowen was decent (even though I flubbed the SJP shot-oops, choke).  Winning a game against Bowen was exciting.  He congratulated me for good play and it was nice to get the recognition from him.  (Evidently Jason saw the broadcast!)

When I got to the finals, it just seemed surreal to walk in the “rare air” as John I. described it. The SPF was not my first final 4, but certainly my first final 4 with people ranked so high. (I now know exactly why Brian D. had such a big smile on his face at the 2011 SPF finals!)

I knew regardless of how I did, I could say I made the final 4 with the best!

Despite my poor finals play, all in all, I had a very fun time. Getting there was very gratifying especially after last year missing out from the final 4 during a Gorgar tie-breaker game with Josh. 

Lastly: I want to say that these things stick out to me and are things I am very thankful for: 

1 Atticus and I have qualified in the A division at SPF 3 years in a row.  That makes a father proud. There is no better feeling than watching your child succeed. (His dancing and YOLO glasses were evidently a hit). I enjoyed doing well, but seeing him do well and having fun is even better.

2 My wife Nancy is extremely supportive of us and quietly and patiently sits in the halls while we play pinball all weekend long and smiles that we are having fun. That is love.

3 Ron D. was awesome for cheering me on, passing me the Mr. Florida sash and running to the hall to give Nancy updates (she won’t watch me play because she casts a magic drain spell on me-ask anyone who knows us LOL). Also-Pretty awesome that Ron supplied about half of the tourney games.

4 Brian D. for his PAPAtv commentary and support. Brian has actually taught me many things about competitive pinball-thank you!

5 Donny for running another great tourney.  He wanted a FLiPS member in the final 4 at SPF-I did it, buddy! Thanks for running these IFPA tourneys (and also to Donny and Leon for hosting the SPF event)

6 Curly of LSOG for once again supplying the latest Stern pinball machine for us to
compete on.

And of course:

7 Everyone in FLiPS and in the Florida pinball community telling me good job and they are proud of me and then posting online, calling and emailing me.  That made me feel very good that I have many pinball friends. The pinball golf clap after my last finals game was very welcomed and I am glad so many people were watching and cheering me on regardless of how I did.

See you all next time around

Jeff

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »
Awesome summary Jeff.  One very memorable moment for me was Zach putting up the Grand Champion score on ACDC in the Finals.  Think of how many games were played on that machine all weekend by really great players during the qualifying round.  To put up a score like that in the final round of four is just clutch as hell.  Even Bowen was laughing and calling for mercy each time Zach hit a 10M+ jackpot.  By the end of the game I was thinking about the Elvira quote in Scared Stiff where she says "wake me up when you're finished".
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 10:26:54 PM »
Awesome summary Jeff.  One very memorable moment for me was Zach putting up the Grand Champion score on ACDC in the Finals.  Think of how many games were played on that machine all weekend by really great players during the qualifying round.  To put up a score like that in the final round of four is just clutch as hell.  Even Bowen was laughing and calling for mercy each time Zach hit a 10M+ jackpot.  By the end of the game I was thinking about the Elvira quote in Scared Stiff where she says "wake me up when you're finished".

There is a reason Zach is the number one rated player in the world :)

Zach's, Bowen's, Josh's, Trent's, Belsito's and many others' play is to me is what is so impressive about the upper echelon players (ie the front page IFPA guys): They are not good some of the time, but rather they are good most of the time and often when it really counts. (Nobody can be good at pinball all of the time).

They do have subpar games every now and then, but it is a pleasure to watch them when they are on their game. It is also a great learning experience-they taught me a few things that I need to consider in upcoming events.

Some other games I saw that were amazing-Jon's ST game in qualifying, Trent on Metallica in qualifying and Jim Belsito destroyed MM in the quarter finals.