Author Topic: APE 2014 Awesome!  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Mapsail

• Raven
APE 2014 Awesome!
« on: February 23, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
I had a great time at my first Pinball Event. You guys did a fantastic job...Thanks!  I came in 39th in the tourney and because it was the first, I'm sure it will stick in my memory (most stuff just seeps out)    :).  Nice taking to some of ya and hopefully I'll make it to the Asylum in March. Now.  Who won the pinball machine?  And the tourney? 
In the meantime I am waxing my playfield (sounds funny) and will get some practice in before the next event.

Melanie

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: APE 2014 Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:49:35 PM »
Sounds like an awesome event!  APE was the first and is probably still the all around best of the FL shows, and I'm very sorry to have missed it this year.   

Congrats to Marcel on another great show!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »
From what I heard, APE tourney was once again the Jeffrey Neumann and Brian Dominy show!   Congrats!

Has anyone other than Brian or Jeffrey ever won APE?   Great stuff!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
From what I heard, APE tourney was once again the Jeffrey Neumann and Brian Dominy show!   Congrats!

Has anyone other than Brian or Jeffrey ever won APE?   Great stuff!

Nope. They are quite the consistently awesome pair 3 years running. Great matches.

And for the record Jeffrey's Volley score was the most SICK scoring feat EVER!

I was impressed with the level of competition and that each year it improves. Florida is getting very strong and there is some new blood getting involved. It is fantastic.

My wife even played an entry!

Hope to see you there next year Jason.
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:26:17 PM »
Wasn't it Jeffrey who won the WPT in 2011 also? 

Looks like a really tough field this year, with lots of participation! 

Very proud of MNP's own Joe G with another top 4 finish!  Joe is a fast student of the rules and a talented player.  Joe began playing just a few years ago at my place and has quickly become a consistent force in the past year's tourneys.   I look for him to keep improving. 

Good to see Jason Nail finish 5th as well!   Speaking of improving, when we first met Jason at South a Philly in St Auggie, he would just hope to try and score half of Rosie's score, and played for fun but not in any way competively for points.  He has begun qualifying and finishing higher and higher...   Very happy to see Jason finish strong today!

Proud of everyone who participated!  Sounds like it was a great time!

PS - I hope there is some discussion/explanation of the Plunge/Play EB rule I've heard about.  Assuming Donny makes an official results thread, it should be discussed in there.   
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Online John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:02 AM »
I had a great time at my first Pinball Event. You guys did a fantastic job...Thanks!  I came in 39th in the tourney and because it was the first, I'm sure it will stick in my memory (most stuff just seeps out)    :).  Nice taking to some of ya and hopefully I'll make it to the Asylum in March. Now.  Who won the pinball machine?  And the tourney? 
In the meantime I am waxing my playfield (sounds funny) and will get some practice in before the next event.

Melanie

Yes, it was a great show once again.  I saw you busy playing in the tournament and meant to say hello, but never saw you out on the floor.  I won't be at the Asylum event in March, but will be at Curly's in April.

The tourney finished:

Jeffery
Brian D
Dan C
Joe G

Not sure who won the pinball machine, but I heard Russ G in Merritt Island won a video game.

The show really was great this year.  It seems like there were a lot more pinball machines than last year.  Thanks to everyone who brought games.  Also, it was great having Fred there fixing machines.  He truly is a master of the older games especially. 

I was glad that my three games held up well and did not need a lot of repair over the weekend.  I've been on the other end of the spectrum in the past, spending half the weekend fixing and soldering!  Thanks to those who helped me move my games in and out and lent me pinball carts.  It was nice being able to go through the front door this year.  It made things a lot easier. 

A lot of people I talked to mentioned how great it is to have a dedicated EM room.  EMs are what a lot of people grew up on and it is hard to find nice examples to play any more.  I know I spent as much time playing EMs at APE than I did all the other types of pins combined.  The room was constantly busy and it was great to have just the sound of chimes that room.

I'm not much of a video game guy, but the selection of games this year was spectacular.  There were a lot of classics and they seemed to all work flawlessly.  Seems like in the past years there were a lot of multicades that were broken down and don't play as well in general as dedicated cabinets.  I truly enjoyed playing Tempest and that sit down Star Wars vector game to name a couple.

Anyway, I'll look forward to a long Spring/Summer/Fall of working on games before FPF comes around.  Hopefully I'll have a couple of new EMs and who knows what else to bring.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline jmsvero

• Quicksilver
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:14:38 AM »
I was just exhausted after the weekend. Got home at 9:00 pm and I had the trailer unloaded by 10:30. I watched the finish of the Daytona 500 and then dropped into bed. This morning was tough to get rolling.

I must say it was a great show. I will echo the comments by John I on the EM room, maybe I am prejudice since 7 of the games were mine, but there were some great comments from the people I talked to this weekend about the games. I could have sold over half the games I brought. Thinking back on it, it would have made loading at the show and unloading at home a lot easier if I had sold them. LOL

There were a lot of newcomers to the tournament including a new Palmer to the mix as well as the usual cast of characters.

I had just a couple minor repairs to make on two games but knock on wood ............ this was the third show in a row with no machines of mine out of comission.

I also think it was a great idea of having a full time pinball repair person (Fred) on site Friday and Saturday. He was kept busy and it showed, a lot less games were down for long periods.

I do feel however, the keys should be there for EVERY machine, not just for repairs, but to get a ball unstuck. There were a few games where the keys were not left with the staff and we couldn't even get a ball unstuck until the owner arrived to do it. If the machine is in the show the keys MUST be left. That is my only gripe.

Thanks to Marcel and and his wife once again for a great show. All the hard work certainly shows.

Also a great special thanks to all who exhibited there games. Without the games, there would be no show, so thanks, I enjoyed it.

Jeff

P.S. Russ I have the video game you won at my house.
EM's:
300, 8 Ball, Air Aces, Astro, Batter Up, Big Brave, Bon Voyage, Buccaneer, Captain Kidd, Dragon, Fairway, Flip a Card, Hi Lo Ace, Jack and Jill, King of Diamonds, Lite a Card, Old Chicago, Quick Draw, Rack a Ball, Ramona, Silver, Spooksville, Top Card, Triple Strike, Twenty Grand, Twin Win

Others:
Captain Hook, Caribbean Cruise, Night Moves

Looking For: Gottlieb Egg Head, Williams Turf-Champ, and Canada Dry, Allied Leisure Sea Hunt, Gottlieb World Fair, Anything from the 30's

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »
I have seen a fair number of great games played in person, but I do not think that anything I have seen in person before demonstrated the absolute level of control and precision that Jeffrey had in that game of Volley.  He scored almost triple the score that anyone else got with hundreds of games played by many solid players..  Knowing the way that the points work on that game (where clearing all 15 drops when lit and individually gets you 75,000) makes the score he got all the more amazing.  I did not see all of that game, but I will remember what I saw for a long time. 

To paraphrase the song "I ain't never seen nothing like it, in any amusement hall"  Well done.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:43:02 PM »
I echo everyone else's sentiments on the Volley game.    That score under any circumstances would be just plain ridiculous, but on a tournament machine, in competition setting, it's uncanny.    We've rolled Danny's Volley twice in a game only a maybe few times, and never three times, and it's been played quite a bit lately (we do have a tight TILT on it, though).   Rock on, Jeffrey!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Mapsail

• Raven
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 02:25:26 AM »
Hey John I.   What's Curleys in April?

Online John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »
Hey John I.   What's Curleys in April?

It is the Little Shop of Games open house party.  It's a massive pinball party with a tournament, food, pinball raffles and all kinds of fun stuff.  Curly stated on Pinside this will be the last year for this party. 

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Ohouse.html

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-and-final-little-shop-of-games-open-house-april-5th-2014

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Mole

• Kingpin
    • SouthWest Florida Pinball Avenue
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 10:19:07 AM »
What a great weekend that went by so quickly!

Thank you to Marcel, Dilayla and crew for putting this great show together! You all did a super job and this show keeps getting better and better every year.

It was good to have some time just to hangout and talk with my friends. I wish I could have played more in the tournament and stayed Sunday to watch the finals unfold.
SW Florida Pinball Avenue http://pinballavenue.blogspot.com/
The Pinball Asylum http://www.pinballasylum.com/

anything