Author Topic: Arcade Odyssey's Pintourney 2014 - March 22nd (25 IFPA Points)  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Redfox

• Flipper Cowboy
Hey Everyone: I'm Eric, the organizer and director of the yearly Pintourney at Arcade Odyssey. This is our second tournament, Pintourney 2014, happening in a few weeks at Arcade Odyssey and I  want to personally invite you all for this great event. The main tournament is worth 25 IFPA points, with a side high score challenge worth an additional 12.5 points. I will have free pizza for everyone in the tourney, and the arcade is home to lots of soft drinks and sodas, snacks and candies. There's 2 separate sit down dining options with beer and wine, within 100 feet of the arcade door.

If you have any questions, feel free to respond to me or this posting. I've done this and continue to do it as a labor of love, I'm not a huge tourney player, but I appreciate competition, want to support pinball in FL, it's players, competitive or otherwise, and try to bring pinball to a larger public audience here in South FL. If you can, please join us, my goal is to make it the best event ever! It's all for you guys!!!!

Thanks!

What You Need to Know:

This tournament will be held at Arcade Odyssey located in Miami, FL.

Date & Time - Registration/Qualifying:
Saturday March 22nd, 2014 - Noon – 6PM
Tournament: Saturday March 22nd 2014 – 6PM – Completion

Fees
$10 for the house - $10 per each qualifying attempt - which consists of 3 games (same game can be repeated)

Tournament Rules
• Main Tournament will consist of one division with players vying for one of 16 spots in the quarter finals. To qualify for one of these spots, all players will purchase qualifying round entries and will proceed to play their qualifying round on each of 5 machines.
• Those that do not make it into the top 16 are eliminated from the competition.
* All scores posted including multiple entries from individual players, are maintained in a ranking (First getting 100 points, Second 90 points, third, 85 Points Forth 84 etc). Point values are assigned to each position in this ranking. The overall score of a particular entry is the total of the point values assigned to its ranked scores across the selected machines for that entry. Because the rankings will change as new scores are posted on each machine, the overall score of each entry may change as the qualifying rounds progress.
• Qualifying will be determined on day of tournament.
• Please note that since this is an Official IFPA Sanctioned tournament it qualifies the first place finisher for up to 25 points.
• Quarter Final:
• Top 16 players will be divided into 4 groups of 4. Each group will be organized according to their qualifying rank. Players cannot leave a group and must play with that group throughout the quarter finals. Order of the machines played and player order is at the discretion of the top seeded player. Each of the 4 groups will play three separate 4 player games and players in the group will get up to 4 player points for highest score, 3 for second highest, and so on for each of the three machines played. Once all the quarter final rounds are completed, the top 2 players from each of the four groups will advance to the semi finals.
• Semi Finals:
• The 8 semi final players will consist of two groups (each group will be organized according to their qualifying rank) and these groups will play three separate four player games (player order of group determined by highest seeded player) each on a different machine and the players will get up to 4 player points for the highest, 3 for the second highest, and so on for each of the games played. After the conclusion of that semi final round, the top two players from each of the two groups will move onto the final.
• Finals:
• The final four players will consist of one group and this group will play three separate four player games (player order of group determined by highest seeded player) each on a different machine and the players will get up to 4 player points for the highest, 3 for the second highest, and so on for each of the games played. After the conclusion of that final round, the top three players who averaged the most player points during that round will determine first second and third place.

*Tournament RULES and REGULATIONS
*In the event of a tie, a tie breaking procedure will be utilized. A single game will be played on a machine selected by tournament officials from the qualifying bank of the division. The tied players will play, in randomly determined order, in a multiplayer game on the selected machine, and will subsequently be ranked in the order of their scores on that game
• Pinball Settings: Machines will be set on tournament play, three ball games with no extra balls allowed, 2 tilt warnings, default difficulty settings.
*Before each semifinal round game as well as each final round game, each group of 4 will be given 30 seconds of play time per player to get accustomed to the machine.
*Slam tilts, and bang backs are not allowed, if these occur, it will result in a score of 0 for that game for the offending player.
*If a ball gets stuck during play, the player will let the machine attempt to dislodge the ball automatically, 4 times, and if it still does not dislodge, the player will contact the tournament person to have the ball manually dislodged and placed in the plunger lane or extended flipper, at the players preference. The player should be ready to continue play once the ball is free.
*If a player does not appear after 10 minutes when it is time for his turn during the semi final or final, he will be disqualified.
*If a catastrophic malfunction occurs: Power is lost, machine fails and is no longer playable, the current game will be replayed once the machine is operational OR another machine if it cannot be repaired within a reasonable amount of time.
* Player points for each round are derived from machine scoring.
* Winner is determined by the completion of the final round as the person who averaged the most player points during the final round.
Prizes – Since the pot will increase based on the # of players qualifying the total Pot value will fluctuate up as more players choose to qualify, thus increasing the pot with each attempt.
The cash pot prize will be split into 70% for 1st place 20% for 2nd, and 10 % for 3rd place.

In addition to the main tournament, there will be a secondary, mini-tournament challenge during the qualifying period from Noon to 6PM. This will essentially be a side tournament for the purposes of the IFPA (meaning 12.5 additional WPPR points) and all regular tournament players who pay and enter the main tournament will be automatically eligible to compete in this side event at no additional charge. It will be a high score competition, on a single machine that will be off to the side. Each participant in the main tournament will have the option, during the main event's qualifying period, to play two separate single player games on this single machine to try and achieve the highest possible score (each player's best score out of the two will be the one recorded). After all tournament players have had both of their games on this machine, the competitor who posted the highest score will win a special prize, and all participants get their share (depending on how well they ranked) of the additional WPPR points allocated to this side tournament.

Address:

Arcade Odyssey
12045 SW 117 AVE
Miami FL 33186
305-253-2722
http://www.arcadeodyssey.com/

We are one block east of the FL Turnpike, exit 19 (SW 120 St).

If anyone is traveling from out of state or far away, there is a spacious Holiday Inn Express less than 3 miles away:

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall
13475 Sw 131st Street
Kendall, Florida 33186
(786) 837-2100 <-- $159 a night for a standard single room

An Alternate Hotel:

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Miami (Kendall), FL
11750 Mills Drive
Miami , FL 33183
305-270-0359 <-- $169 a night for a standard single room

Remember, the tournament is worth 25 IFPA points and will feature a progressive cash pot that increases with the number of tournament participants.
Pins: ACDC, Fast Draw, RBION, JM, TS

Offline Mapsail

• Raven
Re: Arcade Odyssey's Pintourney 2014 - March 22nd (25 IFPA Points)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:42:50 AM »
Looking forward to it. 

Offline Redfox

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
12 Days to go! Hope you guys are as excited as I am :D

Offline Mapsail

• Raven
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
Looking forward to it !!!

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »
Thanks to Eric R. and AO for hosting the event.

Long day.  Wow. I was exhausted by finals.

Congrats to my fellow final 4 competitors Dan C., Atticus and Donny. I once again was the "Super Grover of the finals". LOL.

What a crazy finals match.  Absolutely amazing that we went into a 4 way tie going to the last game.  The last game was well played by Dan, but given the scores on the last game by the other 3 particularly this writer, all we could do was laugh at the absurdity.  That's what happens sometimes.

I was thrilled making it to the finals again with my son. Given that we also had to play each other in the 2 previous rounds, it was pretty awesome that we both advanced each time. I am very proud of him. He is defending his Mr. Florida status nicely with a win last week at the Asylum and a 2nd place finish at AO.  When the IFPA points are updated from the last 2 weekends, he will be WAY up there in points.

Of particular note, I also was very happy to actually PLAY with Donny White who is always on the other side of the fence running a tourney. Well played, my friend, to reach top 16 qualifying and ultimately fight to 3rd place!

Dan Coyle is just a fantastic player.  I am glad to see him at more and more tourneys. Although he has been to a few events over the last year or so,  I recall first going head to head with him at the match play event a few months ago.  He and I exactly split 1st and 2nd on 6 games played in a qualifying match and given he ultimately won the event.  He is one to watch.

The action was not just in the finals.  As discussed above, the 1/4 finals and semi finals had some great games! I think the tie break on SW will stand out the most. Carlos came back strong to miss it by what-a pop bumper hit?  Incredible game.

There are NO EASY ROUNDS in the finals and getting there is no free ride.

When looking at the top 16 at this event, aside from the final 4 above, there were some serious tourney players and some people that are getting the tourney bug who have MAJOR talent. Carlos Porta owns the scores on just about EVERY game in that arcade. Watch this guy!

Rosie and Jason have moved to the south FL area; get used to seeing them in the top 16 at S. FL regional events.   The usual FLiPS suspects were in force-Howard, Ron, Sebastian, Joel, Brian D. It should be pointed out Marcel would have been in the top 16 mix, but had other commitments. When the FLiPS crew shows up, it is ON!

The Tampa and St. Pete crew represented strong with Teresa and Josh Beam making it in and Patrick (owl) playing strong at the end of qualifying to make it to the dance.

Norma has also been showing up at some events letting the pinball world know there yet another strong female player in the mix.  Fantastic!

Florida has some seriously strong players. It is more fun to compete! 

Lots of strong qualifying scores. To add to the T3 story, not only did Joel get the GC, he squeaked past my GC that was also put up in qualifying. Keep in mind 3 balls no extras.  2 GC Board scores in a tourney are something that puts a smile on a player 's face.

Although things that happen earlier in a tourney get buried in the who won the event aspect, I want to point out that my friend and fellow long time "pinball rival" Brian Dominy was the top qualifier. He is consistently a top qualifier and awesome player at any event.

As a side note to the TD, if it is desired to see a frenzied battle for top 4 or 8 qualifiers, just add an incentive of top qualifier or byes and really watch the action heat up. With a straight 16 format, veteran players who know they are already in will not keep paying to play. Incentives also increase the pot. Just food for thought. Not required by any means.

The day had a few logistic hiccups early on, but they got figured out and all and all it went fine. We made sure up front that extra balls were turned off in each game...we also figured out that some games are terrible for trying to record a score.  What were the programmers thinking?  Let's show every other possible credit and public service announcement for 5 minutes and not show the score. And of course some games play a little on the long side. Tough finding a balance.

Thanks to Ron and Brian D. for helping to keep scores and Frank for entering them in promptly. Also props to Frank for handling tech issues quickly.

In the future if there is another tourney here, I would like to see the qualifying games spaced farther apart. Way too many touchy, feely "I like you, but not in that way" moments with the opposing flipper buttons so close.

All in all a good event. Glad to have more places to play competitive pinball in Florida with my pinball friends. 

Congrats to all the players and see everyone soon.

Jeff

(Better known as Atticus' dad. )
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Online John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
Sounds like a fun time.  Thanks for the detailed results.  Congrats to Dan, he is a really consistent great player.  Also, it is great to hear that Donny got to actually play in a tournament!

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Redfox

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:10 PM »
Thanks for the writeup Jeff,

Congrats to Dan Coyle, winner of Arcade Odyssey's Pintourney 2014!!!!!!!!

Along with Dan, the top 4 rounded out with Atticus Palmer to take second, Donny White took third, and Jeff Palmer got 4th!

This year we tried something new, we had a side event, a Terminator 2 high score challenge, with all the competitors who played in that earning a portion of additional WPPR points beyond the 25 for the main event. The winner of this side event got a really neat prize, a 1984 Terminator 1 Movie poster. The winner with a high score of 172,568,900 was Paul Smith.

The tournament was pretty exciting, like Jeff said, highlights included Carlos Porta reaching Portal MB on Tron, and also his neck and neck tie breaker game on DESW against Rosie Mondragon, nobody knew who won till after the match animation, it was THAT close (Great job by Rosie there, she beat him by something like 300k points)! Other highlights, Jeff Palmer had a very impressive performance on DR WHO, getting over 800 mil on ball one during the semifinals, Joel C also got a GC score on T3 during qualifying, impressive stuff!

The tournament had a total of 23 participants this year, I was very impressed, thank you to everyone who came, without you guys, it wouldn't have been possible!

Also, the Official Rankings have been updated for the Pintourney, here they are:

http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=823

Also, here are more photos from the event:

Qualifying Play:

FLECOM the score tabulator:

Brian and co:

The Top 16 Qualifyers:

The end, after the dust settled:

Jeff Palmer:

Donny

Atticus

Dan

Final 4 Group Shot:

Great stuff, the boost from the tournament really shot a few people high into the rankings!!!!!

Online John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics!  I wish I could have made it...
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City