Author Topic: project pinball fundraiser tourney aug 2nd at joe G's  (Read 3139 times)

Offline the architect

• Flipper Cowboy
project pinball fundraiser tourney aug 2nd at joe G's
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
looks like our st aug/jax pin club get together will end up being a project pinball fundraising tourney. it'll be your typical 25 point IFPA tournament, and 12.5 IFPA side tourney. since we were already getting together for the club, why not just throw a charity event while were at it!

my address is available via PM if you'd like to come. there will be parking issues as i live at the end of a cul-de-sac where with the neighbors help i will have spots for 8-10 vehicles. however there will be ample parking available at the clubhouse a short distance away. we will shuttle if necessary. people can start showing up around 1pm, with the tourney starting promptly at 2:30. it shouldn't have a long running time since its like were just jumping right into the finals but with more people

tournament is going to be set up, "battle royal" style where players will be head to head in a bracketlope randomizing 3 strike elimination. this being such short notice i will try to have trophies available, but the chances are slim. we are aiming for a set up of 7-9 games to choose from for tournament play, but this will be determined at the event. the bracketlope style will randomize everything from players, to game, to 1st or 2nd to start.
this will be a BYOB event so if you tend to get "thirsty" for things besides water/sodas you will need to supply your own, sorry. i will grab snacks for everyone or order pizza, maybe. i will be opening my house to anyone that would like to attend, but please if your planning on coming an RSVP would be much appreciated. lastly, lets have some fun!
wants:    BSD, MB, STLE, 2001, JJack

current pins

AC/DC premium
WOF
Skateball
Twd premium
IM vault
Central Park
pinball (stern EM)
Jungle princess (EM)
gotg
Whirlwind
Medusa
Volley
Super orbit
Alien star

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline Getyourselfahotdog

• Flipper Cowboy
Re: project pinball fundraiser tourney aug 2nd at joe G's
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »
Wow, sounds like another fun event Architect style! Wish I could make it but it's my wedding anniversary that day. I hope to make it up that way soon. Good luck with the tourney and I hope you get a good turn out for a great cause!

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:09:08 PM »
Is anyone else from SE Florida planning to attend?  Asking for potential carpool.

Offline bg8ssux

• Raven
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
Is the event still on?

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »
http://live.brackelope.com/t/iun65

Live brackelope results.... Tourney will begin around 2:30pm
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Getyourselfahotdog

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
Thanks for the link,  looked like a lot of fun. Congrats to the Architect losing in round one and fighting  back in the losers bracket to win! I always knew he had a tough chin .

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »
Main tourney results:  Joe Geneau Wins

Triple elimination, head to head, match bracket

8 machines were played:  Tron, Iron Man, Metallica, Genie, Future Spa, Sinbad, Monopoly and World Cup Soccer
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Side tourney results:  Wizard daily high score:  John I wins with 91,xxx

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline the architect

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
this was a really fun way to play in a tournament

current pins

AC/DC premium
WOF
Skateball
Twd premium
IM vault
Central Park
pinball (stern EM)
Jungle princess (EM)
gotg
Whirlwind
Medusa
Volley
Super orbit
Alien star

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
this was a really fun way to play in a tournament

This looked like a 3 strikes tourney setup.  Atticus and I played some 2 strike formats when we were out in Colorado.

It was neat with players from all over the world as opponents in a venue we had never played at. 
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
It was a cool format, and perfect for this event.  It was nice to actually play in one and even nicer to win the side tournament.  I had a bunch of mediocre games on Wizard before getting the high score.  I had a pretty good score going, then nailed the 5,000 target four times in a row.  From there it was not hard to get 91K.  The bracket tournament was cool and brought about some interesting matchups.  I never played the same game twice, so the software did a good job of mixing it up.

Thanks to Joe and Lauren for opening their home to a really fun day.  Also, thanks for the great pizza.  I blew my diet a little, but it was worth it.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 09:23:51 AM »
The lasagna pizza was the best!! 

Thanks to Joe and Lauren for rearranging their house to accommodate the tournament!   We raised a nice chunk for Project Pinball, and it was great getting out and seeing everyone again!   Hopefully I can get back to playing regularly soon and give a better challenge to my fellow competitors next year! 
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »
Many thanks to Lauren and Joe for hosting.  This was a nice, quick tourney.  Lots of nice folks, good to meet Lauren's parents. Real nice folks.  Well worth the 500 mile round trip to help the charity, play with friends and pick up a few points.   Also good to meet Neo, as I have needed a good puppy fix since losing mine.  Nice to meet VanMan Dan for the first time.

Offline the architect

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 01:16:38 PM »
well it was a great time had by all over here for the jax/st augustine pin club. we even had some faces from out of town arrive because of the PP charity tournament which was nice. thanks to ron D and john I for making the long trek up for the event. even laurels parents were available for some of the festivities. it was a nice line up with a good mix of games being played. the bracket lope system made things very exciting.

a couple of people from our group are thinking that this is the way that we will CONTINUE to operate for future events in the jax/st augustine club. next event location/time has not been determined but will be very soon. again thanks to all who were able to make it out and hope to see the rest at the next event.

PS there will be a trophy for the next event!

current pins

AC/DC premium
WOF
Skateball
Twd premium
IM vault
Central Park
pinball (stern EM)
Jungle princess (EM)
gotg
Whirlwind
Medusa
Volley
Super orbit
Alien star

Offline Mole

• Kingpin
    • SouthWest Florida Pinball Avenue
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »
Thank you to Joe and Lauren for opening their home to host this Project Pinball event. You guys are awesome! :^) It is friends like you that assist Project Pinball to be able to place more and more pinball machines in our hospitals to help others.

With your tournament being the last tournament of the IFPA/ Project Pinball Charity July Campaign, Number #43. Your tournament/ fundraiser helped to give that final push pass the $20,000 mark! How cool is that?! Well done to all the people that participated to make the whole campaign a huge success! As I like to say, “It takes a village to raise a charity!”

Congratulations to Joe for winning the main tournament.

Congratulations to John for his win for the high score contest/ side tournament.

I did turn in the tournament results so they should be posted on IFPA site soon. I wish I could have made it to St Augustine! I was so looking forward to trying a Brackelope Knockout 3 strikes format on the I-pad. I was checking on the live site to see the tournament progressing. Very cool.

Thank you very much,

Dan
SW Florida Pinball Avenue http://pinballavenue.blogspot.com/
The Pinball Asylum http://www.pinballasylum.com/

anything