Author Topic: Crossroad Tournament Points are up!  (Read 1549 times)

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Crossroad Tournament Points are up!
« on: August 05, 2014, 06:31:04 PM »
http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=1514&e=&d=2014-07-26#results

31.44 points to the winner means a pretty dang strong field.  Congrats again to the winners!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Crossroad Tournament Points are up!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
Looks like Howard and Atticus got left off.  Will look into this!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »

I had already emailed Josh and Dan this morning. They are on the case :)

I am sure it is a data entry issue with the system.   One look at the list and it is clear there were 2 spots that did not show names, even if one had no idea who was present.
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »

31.44 points to the winner means a pretty dang strong field.  Congrats again to the winners!

Thanks for the congrats to the group. Speaking for myself, I appreciate it.  I was thrilled to win our first "PAPA style event"

What is interesting is how the points links to an earlier discussion I raised regarding compound interest of points.

We players in Florida are gaining in our WPPR ranks with each tourney. So by default we are bringing more ranking and rating points to each successive event so we earn more points when we play against each other. 

However, the core participants have been the same folks and has not varied greatly from say 2014 APE or 2014 Point Monsters, but because we all are collectively earning more points, rankings and rating points each time we show up, each successive tourney "appears" stronger.  I don't think we have necessarily improved that much in 6 short months to make this event worth more. 

This Crossroads tourney was worth more than 2014 APE, which is a 3 day tourney with 50 players and a top 16 bracket with multiplayer match finals which takes a day just for that aspect. 

Once WPPR 5.0 hits, we will see how the weighting factor of time and games played enters into the new calculations of points. If someone were ambitious, this event and APE could be submitted to Josh to have him tabulate the old versus new values. 

We do have a strong group of players in Florida, but we are all just perpetually feeding off each other in the WPPR fish tank.

That being said, it is easy to imagine how the compound interest theory works when top 100 players keep meeting over and over and over.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:49:45 PM »

I had already emailed Josh and Dan this morning. They are on the case :)

I am sure it is a data entry issue with the system.   One look at the list and it is clear there were 2 spots that did not show names, even if one had no idea who was present.

Yeah is apparently has something to do with ties messing up their system.  At least they are not the only ones with software issues...

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 07:34:16 AM »

Thanks for the congrats to the group. Speaking for myself, I appreciate it.  I was thrilled to win our first "PAPA style event"

What is interesting is how the points links to an earlier discussion I raised regarding compound interest of points.

We players in Florida are gaining in our WPPR ranks with each tourney. So by default we are bringing more ranking and rating points to each successive event so we earn more points when we play against each other. 

However, the core participants have been the same folks and has not varied greatly from say 2014 APE or 2014 Point Monsters, but because we all are collectively earning more points, rankings and rating points each time we show up, each successive tourney "appears" stronger.  I don't think we have necessarily improved that much in 6 short months to make this event worth more. 

This Crossroads tourney was worth more than 2014 APE, which is a 3 day tourney with 50 players and a top 16 bracket with multiplayer match finals which takes a day just for that aspect. 

Once WPPR 5.0 hits, we will see how the weighting factor of time and games played enters into the new calculations of points. If someone were ambitious, this event and APE could be submitted to Josh to have him tabulate the old versus new values. 

We do have a strong group of players in Florida, but we are all just perpetually feeding off each other in the WPPR fish tank.

That being said, it is easy to imagine how the compound interest theory works when top 100 players keep meeting over and over and over.

Interesting,  I guess next year I should make the Crossroads a three day event and invite Keith Elwin and a few of his running mates?
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »

With Atticus and Howard now correctly added to the list, the final value was 32.47 points, instead of 31.44 which is a 1.03 point increase.

The increase might seem trivial, but just adding those 2 players earned an increased value almost worth what 20th place (1.08 points) was awarded at this tourney.

I know I sound like a broken record: every fraction of a point matters.