Author Topic: New place (new gameroom)...  (Read 4890 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
New place (new gameroom)...
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »
So most of you know I've been off the radar this year because we've been saving and actively trying to buy a house.  We went through the gauntlet with an overseas foreclosure processing factory which was a nightmare to deal with, but in the end, we got a great deal on a 2005 built foreclosed home about 5 blocks from the beach.    So I'll continue to be off the radar a bit longer, as we now have two houses and are renovating the new one so we can move in, then renovating the old one and selling it. 

We will have an open house weekend coming up in a month or so, and would love to see you guys stop in and say hi. 

We are making the downstairs into an arcade.   Here are a few pics from this week as we got the gamerooms painted, and awaiting blacklight carpet install which will happen this week.   I'm hoping to fit 10-12 pins and 10-12 arcades when it's finished.  Not sure if that's overly optimistic or not, looking at empty space.   There will be some tough cuts to make it down to a 24 man roster, and all you guys helping with the practice squad machines, thanks again.   I'll probably be selling a few machines in a month or so, after the gameroom is finished, so keep an eye out if you're interested.

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: New place (new gameroom)...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:02:16 AM »
Here are a few other pics I had, showing the outside of the house from the driveway.  It's two story, built into a hill with a retaining wall along the street.    We are trying as much DIY stuff as we can, and I took on the floor installation yesterday, probably ill-advised.  It took me about 3 hours to get this far yesterday, most of that time wasted in the doorway knockout (where I ruined two wood slabs, making creative cuts).   Today will have lots more progress in the open areas (until I get to the next doorway...)...
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
Congrats! I hope you have learned from others and are installing ICE COLD AC in that game room!

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »
Congrats Jason!  Call me if you want an extra set of hands with moving.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
Congrats! I hope you have learned from others and are installing ICE COLD AC in that game room!

Thanks!  Make sure and come by for the Open House weekend.   We have a big enough place now that people are welcome to come from out of town and crash overnight if need be. 

I think we will be good with the AC but it's one of those things where you don't really know until you get it full with people and machines being played and put it to that test.   There are two AC units, the slightly smaller unit dedicated to the downstairs, but the downstairs is part garage without AC, and then gameroom(s)*, one bathroom, and office are the only areas cooled by that unit, not very demanding.  Plus the gameroom side is actually underground along that wall, so it stays naturally cool (when I was stopping in and walking through in the middle of the day in July, vacant with no power, I remember it being comfortably coolish down there.  I'm crossing my fingers.  *- still haven't decided if I will keep that entire wall in between the gameroom, or remove it and make it one room.  I think regarding sound the way it is now would be the best, with two rooms.  But for the eye-candy, one big room looks so nice.  Bought a bunch of blacklight fixtures/bulbs today, and the materials to build a small cliff around the top of the wall for a row of LEDs and Blacklight LEDs...next on the agenda after wood floors are finished...
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
Well, I'm sure a floor guy could've knocked this out before lunch, but for me....took a few hours last night and then most of the day today.  But the floor is down!  Ack my legs and back!  Floor guys must have incredible vertical leaping ability. 

Still have both closets to do tomorrow, and all the molding, if I can stand up out of bed in the morning...
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:10:36 PM »
As long as you can cool the gameroom to 32 degrees I'll give it my stamp of approval.

You will enjoy the creative phase of being in a new house.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »
Congrats Jason!  Call me if you want an extra set of hands with moving.

Steve that would be most appreciated!!  I am going to let all Good Samaritans know of the Game Moving Day in advance, in case anyone would like to volunteer to help move machines.  I'm going to rent a Penske with a lift gate, I think.  Maybe even hire the GreyWolf Express for the day, to help move a few of the delicate machines, and we all just get them moved in one fell swoop!  :)   

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »
The place looks great Jason.  It is going to  be awesome.  I'm sure it has been a lot of work, but the finish line is in sight!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 01:46:43 AM »
Looks like it's coming along nicely, I can't wait to see pics of the finished product!

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:51:16 PM »
Let me know about moving day too.  I can haul a couple at a time in the Suburban. 
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
Let me know about moving day too.  I can haul a couple at a time in the Suburban.

Thanks John!  I will.   I may be as soon as the weekend after.  We'll see.   Making good progress in gameroom.   Carpet installed yesterday!  Have not hit it with blacklight yet, but can't wait to see it pop under them!  For all you TBL fans, which I know includes John, I chose this pattern because it reminded me of the neons over the bowling alley in TBL, imagery that I always loved. 

Also got very lucky with Gameroom power!  I was going to need to rewire the room to add enough breaker/power to handle everything, BUT thankfully whoever built the home envisioned possibly making my Gameroom a Mother-in-Law suite.  That little junction box held 60amp unused, where a stove/oven could go!   So we just have to add three 20 amp breakers there, and wire a bunch of outlets from it, and it'll be golden.  When the electrician was explaining what he'd have to do if that box wasn't there... I realized how lucky I am!   Dodged a major bullet there. 

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
Some other progress...  Living room being painted a new lavender grey, which Eve chose.   Definitely freshens up the room compared to the original pee-yellow behind, yet to be painted.   The guest room carpet came out darker than Eve wanted from the sample, so she's a little bummed about that.  But hopefully she can get the room to look how she wants with an area rug and some d├ęcor.  Eve has plans to light up the balcony and put a hammock out there as well.   Since I'm taking over the downstairs, I'm leaving her free reign with the upstairs.   So far so good.   We will be ready to start moving in after next week if all goes to plan...
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »
looking good, I love rounded corners on walls! The big question is how are the neighbors? Noisey? Quiet? I've always done several midnight to 2am drive bys before I move in somewhere. From the one pic it looks like there's a fence to the right of your house? End of the street is always good unless that's an apartment complex next door...

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
looking good, I love rounded corners on walls! The big question is how are the neighbors? Noisey? Quiet? I've always done several midnight to 2am drive bys before I move in somewhere. From the one pic it looks like there's a fence to the right of your house? End of the street is always good unless that's an apartment complex next door...

We aren't really sure about the neighbors, but so far it seems quiet.  Eve met one semi-retired looking neighbor last week, who was very nice and happy to hear someone would be moving in soon.  I haven't met any neighbors yet.   It's a beach neighborhood, so unfortunately there's only the tiniest of a semi-yard, and you are very close to your neighbors.   We always knew we'd be sacrificing a yard for a house anywhere near the beach.   They definitely maximized the size of the house relative to the lot.   

Funny you should ask though, cause it's been a topic of discussion since we rented the Seth Rogan movie "Neighbors" earlier this week.   Hopefully none of those shenanigans will take place  :)

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

anything