Author Topic: Astrophotography  (Read 956 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Astrophotography
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
Hi all!    Longshot maybe, but are there any Astrophotographers or amateur Astronomers in here?    It's always been a love of mine since UF when I took several classes and frequented their observatory, but I never lived in a place where I had a decent view of the night sky.     

Well, in our new place we have an outrageous view of the night sky from several windows and the balcony, from E/SE to W, and I've been researching some telescope rigs with the equatorial mounts, etc.    So I'd like to buy a nice setup, but don't want to buy the wrong thing, spend too much, etc.     So any info on brands (I'm trying to educate myself) and whatnot is appreciated.

Here are a couple of shots I've done so far which are just with a standard 55mm.  Amateur stuff but I'm having fun learning as I go. 

The firework photo is from NYE on the beach, with sand and freezing wind blowing in my face and camera, and that's about the best shot I got.   As you can see, almost nobody braved the beach that night.     The night sky photo is just a long exposure practice from our bedroom window.    The sunset was bracketed exposure from our bedroom window also. 

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Astrophotography
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:53:09 PM »
Looks awesome Jason.  The new computer controls on telescopes are amazing.  I was looking at buying one about six years ago that was around $1200.  I could imagine what is available today for that price.  The sky is just OK out where I live.  Its cool you have such dark skies out there!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
Yeah I do wish we didn't have a pesky streetlight and neighbor's light (which I may be able to talk him into turning off for evenings which are great viewing), it'd be a lot darker.   Last night was perfect for viewing but I still haven't decided on a telescope.   There are so many choices...      I may prolong the telescope choice as long as possible, and give me more time to learn about them, while we build our little miniature backyard observatory deck.    Still having fun with the camera and learning there too.... 
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
Whoa!  Incredible sunset!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City