Author Topic: New member - Ft Myers/Naples Area  (Read 3206 times)

Offline rwoods911

• Raven
New member - Ft Myers/Naples Area
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:59:33 AM »
I love pinball so I think i am in the right place.  Been considering purchasing my first pinball machine for the house.  I was referred here by a friend.  Look forward to chatting with you all.

Ray

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: New member - Ft Myers/Naples Area
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 10:01:56 AM »
Ray, you're definitely in the right place.   Take your time to choose your first machine, and I'd recommend buying one fully working as opposed to a project, or even a "probably just needs a fuse" machine.    Stick close to the boards for an update on the next Pinball Asylum event, which is in Ft Myers.  It's a glorious place with dozens of gorgeous machines from all eras.   They hold public events several times a year.   Also, APE is coming up very soon and would be a great place to meet other pinheads and play some machines.   Welcome to the hobby and cya soon! :)
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline klassic

• Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
you'll be happy, but as a 1st time or a 100th time buyer, avoid this seller at all costs:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/tag/4878065727.html

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/for/4870644711.html

just watch out for that phone number, and you'll probably be fine. :)

Offline rwoods911

• Raven
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
Thanks for the warning and I am thinking about checking out ape next weekend.  I tend to like machines from the 90s like bride of pinbot, phantom of the opera, checkpoint, etc.  I am also looking at the stern Star Trek pro game.  Saw a video on it and the gameplay looks real nice.  I've also been warned wizard of oz game breaks too much and isn't as fun as it looks.  What do you think? Is there a place I should go to look for a fairly priced machine?

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 12:19:34 PM »
Definitely don't miss APE.  You will meet tons of people who can help guide you, and not to mention play tons of machines that you might not have tried before.

Little Shop Of Games is a great place to buy new and used machines.  It is a long ride from Ft Meyers though.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline bcd

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »
Most everyone here will be at APE.  Those of us in the West Palm/Fort Lauderdale/Miami area will likely be seen wearing our FLIPS shirts - please say hi.

Some people sell games at APE, if you're looking to buy soon, but do your research first.

APE is a great chance to play a variety of games and see what really interests you.

Welcome!

Offline klassic

• Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:34 PM »
everyone is different. a lot of people love the star trek game, but I don't. I do love phantom of the opera, and others hate it. never played checkpoint (love porsches, though), and bride of pinbot was too repetitive for my tastes. which is weird, because phantom doesn't have much to do, but it's one of my favorites.

you have to play some games, and decide what one keeps calling to you, long after you walk away from it.  :)

Offline Mole

• Kingpin
    • SouthWest Florida Pinball Avenue
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »
Ray,

The APE show will be the best place to meet other good people in the pinball community like the people that posted on this thread already. I can call these guys my friends.

Plus, come over to the APE show and I will have the Star Trek Pro there you can try your hand on. Or I will have it back in Ft Myers next week to get it set-up for hospital use.

Dan
SW Florida Pinball Avenue http://pinballavenue.blogspot.com/
The Pinball Asylum http://www.pinballasylum.com/

Offline rwoods911

• Raven
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:31:48 AM »
Had a great time at ape.  Loved the Star Trek and xmen game Dan! What a great event.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »
Glad you were able to meet some of us and have a good time.  Look forward to playing some pinball with you down at the Asylum.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

anything