Author Topic: Thanks to the Asylum for Point Monsters 2015  (Read 3988 times)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
Thanks to the Asylum for Point Monsters 2015
« on: May 31, 2015, 08:39:14 PM »
Thanks to everyone at the Pinball Asylum for all of their hard work in hosting the 3rd Annual Point Monsters Championship.

This makes my 3rd consecutive Monster trophy-one day maybe I will earn the right color :)

Congrats to Sebastian for earning a spot for the next banner. Well played this weekend!  (3 FLiPS winners in a row!)   Also congrats to my fellow final 4 members Kurt (2nd) and Ron (4th). 

The question will be does this help predict the next Florida State Pinball Champ?  The previous trend was that the winner of Point Monsters finished in the year end series 5th prior to winning the SCS.  (I don't see Sebastian dropping to 5th, he will be first in the SCS after this.)

Special congrats to John I. for rolling KISS in the semi final match.  Just wow.

See everyone next time around.

Edit: the trend part read awkwardly before.
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline Getyourselfahotdog

• Flipper Cowboy
Re: Thanks to the Asylum for Point Monsters 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 09:27:05 PM »
Big thanks to the Asylum crew, I really enjoyed having Friday added for the qualifying. You would think that extra 5 hours on Friday would satisfy my addiction for competitive pinball , I'm exhausted but already looking forward to next year. Congratulations to Sebastian for winning this years main tourney and Kirby for winning the classics.

I agree with Jeff that one of the highlights this weekend was watching John rock ( I mean roll all night and party every day) on Kiss!

I was glad to see more women participating and grinding out scores in the trenches with the other inmates. I think this makes the Asylum stand out. Pay one reasonable fee and play for three days in a great environment . How can you beat that and have the access to play all eras of games. Thanks again, I had a great time. I know a lot of work goes into putting on an event like this, it is greatly appreciated.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »
This was a really great event this year.  The Point Monsters weekend and the Asylum in general just keeps getting better.  Thanks to Dan, Dave, Matt and Justin along with Tess for all the hard work.  Every time I go down there there is noticeable improvement.  This time the completed carpeting was a really nice touch and the color change was in just the right spot to mark of the stay out zone for the tournament!  Also, the air conditioning held out nicely.  I did not know it at the time but Matt made a heroic save on Saturday when the float switch failed and the compressor shut off.  He went up into a heat fired cauldron and fixed the a/c before it got too hot in the Asylum, preventing it from turning into a sauna!

Congrats to all of the winners and especially Sebastian.  That was a really impressive display.  His game has really improved to a scary level.  I would not be surprised if the State Champion trend continues...

Special congrats to John I. for rolling KISS in the semi final match.  Just wow.

Haha!  Funny, it is very rare that I find myself in the zone and for it to happen at that time and place is amazing!  All I knew was I wanted to keep the ball up in the safe zone above the inlanes by going through the spinners.  I seemingly could not miss those spinners and mixed in a few shots to the drop targets for good measure.  This kept the ball out of danger for the most part, not to mention I was invincible when it did go near the outlanes.  I really didn't know what was going on until about the tenth free game crack that I heard and I started hearing voices behind me.   Thanks to Dan C for bringing this KISS game - glad you got a kick out of watching me play it.

I was glad to see more women participating and grinding out scores in the trenches with the other inmates.

I want to second that.  It really was great to see so many ladies in it and playing so well.  It added a lot to the atmosphere and hopefully that trend will continue in general.

I really look forward to next year and will continue to work on my game.   8)
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
This was a great event.  I played way over my head and got to the finals, then resorted to form and ended up Super Grover of the Finals.   Many thanks for Dan, David, Matt, Tess and others for all their hard work.  Also, thanks to Patrick for his efforts in broadcasting.  Congrats to Sebastian, who played incredible pinball.  A worthy addition to the banners hanging from the rafters.  Also congrats to Kirby who dominated in Classics.

Ron

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »
I want to second that.  It really was great to see so many ladies in it and playing so well.  It added a lot to the atmosphere and hopefully that trend will continue in general.

That's a great sign, but more kids are needed as well.  I was rolled out of the Lyons Spring Classic a couple weeks ago by a 10 year old, and his last name wasn't Lefkoff.  The kids are a true joy to play with and talk to... they are as competitive as any adult, but nicer :)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:05:34 AM »

That's a great sign, but more kids are needed as well.

Once kids find out Santa plays pinball in Florida, that should do it :)

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »

That's a great sign, but more kids are needed as well.

Once kids find out Santa plays pinball in Florida, that should do it :)

The look on Dan's granddaughters face when someone said there's Santa was priceless. Her eyes opened up so wide in awe and disbelief. I wish I would have snapped a picture.

Offline bcd

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »
I played way over my head and got to the finals, then resorted to form and ended up Super Grover of the Finals.

I refer you to the signature line of pinballcorpse for my comment on this :)

This was indeed a great tournament - thanks everyone involved in making it happen.

Brian

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 07:33:53 PM »
Classic results with points are up on IFPA.

I am fond of stating every point counts-you'd better believe it. 

It is going to take some adjusting to the new IFPA system.

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 08:17:02 PM »
Impressive Jeff, your projection for points was dead on!

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »
http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=10068#results

Just the Classics are up, expect the Points Monsters soon.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 09:43:30 PM »
Impressive Jeff, your projection for points was dead on!

Thanks.  I find it useful being able to gauge whether or not participating in a event is worthwhile from a WPPR and SCS standpoint. I still maintain every point counts, so the idea is to find efficient ways to reach the goal.

I think other players have benefitted from knowing what a tourney is worth as well.  It also helps the TDs since they are trying to entice people to participate. 

We are all learning :)

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=10068#results

Just the Classics are up, expect the Points Monsters soon.

We will have a new point leader :)

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »
By a hair! Congrats PLAYA!

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »
By a hair! Congrats PLAYA!

My bad for not being clearer:

I meant Sebastian was going to be in the lead ahead of me for SCS after the main Point Monsters results are tallied.

He has been playing very, very well. (1 drop target on HG and we swap positions on the JAX event-woulda coulda shoulda LOL)

anything