Author Topic: August 22nd PAPA-Style Pinball Asylum Tournament  (Read 1748 times)

Offline doghouse

• Kingpin
  • Have You Had Your Shot Of Pinball Today?
    • The Pinball Asylum
August 22nd PAPA-Style Pinball Asylum Tournament
« on: June 19, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »
Happy Summer Friends and Fellow Inmates--

Once again, The Pinball Asylum is leading the way in bringing new formats to the Florida Tournament scene.  Our Saturday August 22, 2015 IFPA-Sanctioned Tournament will be presenting for the first time in our state a "PAPA-Style Tournament."

PAPA {The Professional & Amateur Pinball Association) holds their annual World Championships where the best players in the world vie for the title.  In support of that goal, PAPA has designed a very challenging format that allows the best of the best to rise to the top.

The format for our PAPA-Style Tournament calls for each player to put together their best single entry or scorecard during qualifying.  An entry consists of four (4) games chosen by the player from a bank of eight ( 8 ) available machines. All games in each entry count equally toward a player’s qualifying total, meaning the system is intended to reward consistently good play, rather than a mixture of good and poor play.

The player selects in advance what games each card consists of in an attempt to get the best composite score on those four (4) machines. Players may play as many entries in any combination of the four (4) qualifying games as they like, but each scorecard stands alone and cannot be combined with any other entries.

Scores from each game in each qualifying attempt are ranked against all other players, yielding a qualifying point total. Only a player’s single best multi-game qualifying total will determine his or her qualifying position for the final rounds.

With this format it is virtually impossible for a player to buy his or her way into the final rounds.

Advanced pricing for the tournament is as follows:
Regular-Joe Pre-Registration: Five (5) Entry Tickets Included with Admission (4 plays each)— $40.00
VIP Pre-Registration : Seven (7) Entry Tickets Included with Admission (4 plays each), a VIP Lanyard, free T-Shirt— $60.00
Pay At The Door: $10.00 Admission, One (1) Entry Ticket Included (4 plays).
Each Additional Entry Ticket (4 plays): $10.00

Dan (Mole) will be posting the complete set of rules and projected WPPR points within the next week or so.  In addition, we hope to bring a Project Pinball High-Score tournament to this event to increase your chances of getting those coveted state points.

Pre-Registration will open sometime over the next few days.  If you are on The Pinball Asylum email list you will get a link to the registration sent to you.  If you have attended an Asylum event in the last year then you are on the list-- provided we have a valid email address for you.  If you are not on our mailing list, please email us at <info@pinballasylum.com> and you will be added.

Walk-Ins for this tournament are OK, but if you've never attended an Asylum event you will need to pre-register with us before attending. Feel free to email us at <info@pinballasylum.com> if you have any questions.

We here at the Asylum are VERY excited to be presenting this tournament!  We look forward to seeing you ALL there on August 22nd!
When in Fort Myers, visit THE PINBALL ASYLUM!

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
Re: August 22nd PAPA-Style Pinball Asylum Tournament
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:38:57 PM »
Cool.

However, I would contend the PP tourney at Crossroads/John I's last July was the first PAPA style event.

I distinctly recall BCD and I explaining to the participants how the qualifying format worked versus the traditional "Herb" format :)   
Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
I STILL don't get it!!!

MY BRAIN! MY BRAIN!

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:14:05 AM »
I STILL don't get it!!!

MY BRAIN! MY BRAIN!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or post a question.  I'll be glad to help.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »
Cool.

However, I would contend the PP tourney at Crossroads/John I's last July was the first PAPA style event.

I distinctly recall BCD and I explaining to the participants how the qualifying format worked versus the traditional "Herb" format :)

Actually this may be a good way to explain it.  Just like Herb only your best "score" counts.  In this case the "score" is based on a grouping of four games played instead of playing just one.   The entry ticket is ranked based on strength of your score for all four games played. 

I look forward to this tournament because I feel it is well suited for my game.  It is not as much of a grind it out format and involves a little more strategy because you can actually knock your own scores down if you don't know when to void.  To me this format is the best formula for getting both the best players and the players who might just happen to be hot that weekend into the Finals.

The downside of this format is that it is harder on the score keepers and software (as I found out).  In the Herb format by the time you are an hour into qualifying, most scores are voided.  In this case almost all scores are recorded unless you are three games into a ticket and realize that ticket is a stinker.

Crossroads will be a new format known as the 7 Card Stud Jokers Wild, and the Side Tournament will be Classics.  Looking for a date in September and will announce very soon.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »

Crossroads will be a new format known as the 7 Card Stud Jokers Wild, and the Side Tournament will be Classics.  Looking for a date in September and will announce very soon.

FLiPS had a poker pinball tourney designed by Bryan Balkie.  Very unique format with a little poker luck required and the first place trophy was really neat: framed zombie cards forming a royal flush  :)

anything