Author Topic: FL Tournament Directors Thread -TDs: Let's plan 2017!  (Read 5056 times)

Offline RAW POWER

• Flipper Cowboy
  • Formerly known as Kj_gameroom
FL Tournament Directors Thread -TDs: Let's plan 2017!
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:45:50 PM »
Gentlemen,

The Florida tournament scene is growing rapidly as more locations are popping up  hosting major and minor competitions. I think it will benefit all of the players if we all get together to make a calendar for all of the 2017 major tournaments we plan to run next year. There is so much we can do together but for starters here is the general plan:

-Get all of our tournament dates planned out for 2017 to prevent conflicting dates

-make an attractive Florida tournament calendar that can be distributed at free play Florida as well as all of our locations

-through this flyer, guide people to a Facebook page or website where they can get more information 

-List all of the monthly meetups/leagues as well. 

-Get sponsors to pay for printing the calendars.

I'll compile the dates and I have someone who can create the calendar. 

If we can get these calendars into people's hands, participation in our tournaments is sure to go up! Ed and I are willing to put forth a lot of the effort for this.

Here's what we need from you:

-Your ideas

-Your tournament dates and info

-Logos from your location/organization

-Sponsorship ideas  (The Pinball Lounge will be a sponsor)

-A name for our association. Right now we are thinking Florida Pinball Association though FPA could be confused with IFPA so maybe FLPA or something different like Sunshine State Pinball Association 

FT, TAF, JD, BoP, HS2, Taxi, Rollergames, Cactus Jacks, CBW, NBAFB, Mini Cycle, Tag Team Pinball.

Offline Redfox

• Flipper Cowboy
Re: FL Tournament Directors Thread -TDs: Let's plan 2017!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:51:47 PM »
Cool idea! I like it (and I vote for calling it Sunshine State Pinball Association) :D
Pins: ACDC, Fast Draw, RBION, JM, TS

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:18:25 PM »
Cool Kurt.  I know there was talk of creating a Google calendar that is sort of a collaborative document.  I think it would be helpful because I foresee more and more one-day or weekend tournaments in the future.

I'm not sure about having a printed version, because I picture this as a living document.  Sure the major events like Free Play, APE, JAX would be penciled in right away.  Also, the Asylum has pretty much established a set schedule for all their annual tournaments.  Other events like FLiPS, POPS and local tournaments can be added as they are planned throughout the year.  Having a calendar to register dates as soon as an event is planned will help others who are still in the planning phase pick dates that don't conflict with a major event or another event nearby. 

I also like the idea to work together to develop new tournament directors and help each other out.  It would also be nice if this group could be involved in the decisions on the IFPA State Championship next year...
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 08:36:40 PM »
Yes-Nice thread and a good idea. I have been implementing this to some extent on the Village with FLiPS events.

I think many of us directors and coordinators have been doing this behind the scenes looking at each other's posts, sending texts and emails and talking on the phone and in person trying to avoid conflicts with other tourneys. 

I will suggest this to the competitive community.  Can we PLEASE have JUST ONE site where the calendar and comments are posted.  Cross posting events and fielding Q/A sessions on multiple sites and subforums such as here, the Village and Facebook is extremely annoying and time-consuming.     

Let me know what I can do to help.  You know I am here to help promote competitive pinball in our state any way I can. 

Losing with integrity is better than winning with arrogance.

Offline RAW POWER

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 01:44:14 AM »
John -A Google calendar that we could plug all of our dates into would be an easy way to get this going.

Jeff -I concur with everything. We've been communicating this stuff amongst each other for a while but it'd be nice to get the big ones in the open in advance so us and the players know what's going on. One of the end results of this project will create a one stop shop for all tournament info so it doesn't have to be repeated across all the different forums. Of course, it would be advisable to announce these tournaments in every place possible and we would still have detailed information on our websites/facebooks/etc for all of our own tournaments.

The biggest benefit of doing all of this will be the calendar. If we make them look cool and pass them out it will be better than simply directing people to a website. The dates will be right there in their hands. I am picturing a door hanger sized calendar with all of the events bullet pointed in order on one side. Toward the bottom quarter, all of the monthly meet ups and weekly leagues and a link for detailed info for them. The reverse could have the sponsors. Or just leave the reverse blank and put sponsors on the front.
FT, TAF, JD, BoP, HS2, Taxi, Rollergames, Cactus Jacks, CBW, NBAFB, Mini Cycle, Tag Team Pinball.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 08:05:52 AM »
Agreed on the announcing as many places as possible to get exposure.  I personally just would like to not have 4 ongoing discussions about the exact same thing over and over and over.

After deciding on the main hosting location, I would suggest on the auxiliary sites locking certain posts/topics (but include a link back to main conversation) to avoid a barrage of posts. The TDs should not have to monitor multiple sites reading every post to answer questions about the event, or changes in format times etc. 

Some repeat conversations are inevitable, but minimizing them would be helpful. 

Regarding printing out media with the events, I think a lot of paper and ink will be wasted because as
John pointed out, this will constantly evolve. The big shows will have their own flyers and promotions, but might not know the exact date until only 6-7 months in advance. (See for example the APE and FPF threads)

Smaller local events are harder to pinpoint too far out except in some cases where there might be a weekly/monthly gathering at a public location.  Even the Asylum which does limited events in the year has changed dates due to various circumstances-this upcoming PAPA-style event for example. 

I think the online calendar is best for allowing changes, because there will be dates changing all the time. Once a date is known, then sure, print and distribute as desired to promote interest.

Looking forward to furthering the discussion.

Offline the architect

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
A more efficient way to schedule dates times is much appreciated and I can see sponsoring this from the league level.
wants:    BSD, MB, STLE, 2001, JJack

current pins

AC/DC premium
WOF
Skateball
Twd premium
IM vault
Central Park
pinball (stern EM)
Jungle princess (EM)
gotg
Whirlwind
Medusa
Volley
Super orbit
Alien star

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline RAW POWER

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 11:48:39 AM »
Even if we can lock down some of the major dates and print them it would be good.

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:19:54 PM »
I guess the question to answer is for Florida-what are the "majors"? Is it a function of IFPA WPPR points awarded, length of time or both?   Here is a starter list of the common events that have had at least 2 events over the years :

January/February:   Match Play at The Pinball Asylum:

February 11, 2017 SCS, (not an open event)

February APE ( hiatus )

JAX on the Village has kicked around the dates of March 3-5 around for 2017.

LSOG is hosting an open house with IFPA tourney in March or April 2017

May/June:  Point Monsters at The Pinball Asylum

July:  Pinburgh (seems a popular event for many Florida Players so place it on the calendar)

August: PAPA Style at The Pinball Asylum

FPF will be in November but probably not confirmed until April 2017

Some other events that are not necessarily annual yet:

Father Knows Pinball
Freeplay at Replay
ACPR in St. Augustine
POPs
Sebastian's Temple
TBPL monthly at Replay
TPL Weekender Bender
TPL End of Year

etc.

Offline jbeam

• Raven
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »
I'm down to help out how ever I can, I try to host the Tampa meet up every third Sunday of the month, unless it happens to fall on a holiday then I push it back a week. (Father's day this year for example)

I agree with the 1 central location to monitor. It is tasking to keep up with the multiple forms of communication, I try to but I'm a pretty busy person with my hands in a lot of things.

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 07:13:21 PM »
Paper calendar will be thrown away or lost.

EVERYONE has a cell phone.
Pretty much EVERYONE is on Facebook, so a group page where 'events' can also be created is the easiest/most practical.
If you HATE FB just create a fake name, or use 'John I' or whatever, and ONLY use FB for the FL Tournament page.
Set up the settings so only the various TDs can create events, etc.

Have a table with a BIG banner at Freeplay and you'll get a good response.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 08:30:13 PM »
It looks like a google calendar can be embedded in a webpage or maybe facebook, so the discussion could be all in one spot.  I don't do Facebook, but at least I could see the calendar. 

Here is a quick Google calendar.  I tried embedding it here, but it did not work.

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=h5fktg8s9re5tvqpsi3tjtg7no%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 08:36:50 AM »
OK, here is a suggestion that I think will cover the needs:

-  Create a "Facebook Group" called Florida Pinball Tournament Directors and give a few people admin rights
-  Create a Google calendar and give a few people admin rights
-  Embed the Google Calendar at the top center of the Facebook Group page
-  Allow interested parties to join the Facebook group and discuss the calendar in that "one place"
-  Freeze all threads like this one and put a link to the Facebook Group
-  Create a frozen "sticky" thread here and on the Village pointing to the Facebook group and state that all discussion is to be there.

Here is a description from Facebook:

Facebook Groups

While Pages were designed to be the official profiles for entities, such as celebrities, brands or businesses, Facebook Groups are the place for small group communication and for people to share their common interests and express their opinion. Groups allow people to come together around a common cause, issue or activity to organize, express objectives, discuss issues, post photos and share related content.

When you create a group, you can decide whether to make it publicly available for anyone to join, require administrator approval for members to join or keep it private and by invitation only. Like with Pages, new posts by a group are included in the News Feeds of its members and members can interact and share with one another from the group.

Groups range widely, from members of a church group or athletic team organizing activities to serious topics on politics and world events or even more lighthearted themes.

Say that you and your friends have a favorite celebrity or cause you want to rally around, but you are not the official representative of either. You can either become a fan of the official Facebook page for the celebrity or cause and show your support there or create your own group on Facebook around the common interest.

For example, just as I'm a fan of the official Page for the show "Lost," I am also a member of groups created by other fans like myself. The "Lost" groups offer a way to interact with a community of people and discuss the latest theories around what is happening on the show—from what the "smoke monster is" to how it will all end.

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »
People do like FB, so having that as the main site is not bad.

John, you can join FB and turn off all notifications, unfollow people etc. so you don't have to be bombarded with stuff you don't want to see.  You can be as involved or detached as you want, but it does seem to be how people prefer to communicate over these forum sites (except for the craziness of pinside which I would NOT recommend the FL group using for this purpose)