Author Topic: Cactus Canyon Cont...  (Read 914 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Cactus Canyon Cont...
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »
Thought I'd chime in with a CCC post, as I just got a system all setup and running.    The kit that epgeek has put together is fantastic.   

The machine is powered by the normal WPC95 driver pcb, but the CPU and A/V are completely removed and replaced with a Proc and single board pc and amp.   It all mounts in the head, and connects to a color lcd screen.  The computer and amp plug in down into the service outlet inside the coin door.   His instructions leave out a couple of minor things, like connecting the amp to the cabinet and box speakers, and one usb connection he leaves out.  But after a hiccup or two I got it setup and running in one evening.   It takes longer to label connectors than anything else.  He's done a great job not only with the overall project, but with the design of the kit itself and the ease of install. 

After only a few games, I'm impressed.    The game has a whole new depth, not only to the ruleset of course but the SOUND.   It's incredible quality now.  I need to upgrade my bottom cabinet speaker to handle the power from that amp.   

They added Drunk Multiball, where you play a MB round with reverse flippers.  A whole handful of new skill shots, most notably the Tribute Skill shot where you get one shot at a lit shot off the plunge and the reward is one original mode of any of a selection of games: Cousin It from TAF, Trolls from MM, etc... AFM, CV...)   I've only played the first two.  The drops act as Trolls, etc, the playfield shots are morphed to match the mode, but otherwise the mode is identical.   Trippy.

The meat and potatoes to the ruleset is the qualification changes to Motherlode (requires 3 now, not just 1), and the addition of the infamous Bionic Bart, who you face after you've defeated all the Bart Bros, one of the qualifications towards High Noon.   Bionic Bart was on the originally released rule cards but never in the game.   (Much like Crazy Bob, the elusive Final Boss missing in Champion Pub, but in the attract mode).   Battling Bionic Bart is a brutal combo round, where you shoot timed combos to load, shoot, reload.   I failed miserably.   You must defeat Bionic Bart, in addition to all the other original requirements, in order to achieve High Noon, which is now apparently expanded as well.   There's a Cowboys Vs Aliens mode, which features AFM cameos.  Just lots and lots of little modes and rule tweaks to flesh out and expand the game.

He added a lot of funky stuff, which I haven't even tried yet.  There all optional and called Party Modes, which you have to select Pre-game.   Chimp Mode, for example, will Tilt you if you use both flippers at one.  Funny, but of course it kills ball traps during Multiballs and things like that.  The Party Modes are mostly novelty of course, but look fun.  For example, there's a Drunk Mode where the flippers are simply reversed the entire game.  LOL  Stupid stuff like that. 

Final thoughts are the bonus to using his kit is that I'm now looking at a spare working WPC95 CPU, AV pcb, and DMD wrapped up to put in a box for a rainy day.   The kit is WELL worth it.  He's tested them, run it in, and made it very easy to install and get running.

And of course my dream would be for this project trend into other titles, which like CC might have rather shallow rulesets but glorious shots and flow.  T2 would be the first to come to mind.   The possibilities are endless and I really hope we see more of these projects from the community.

One thing about CC.  It FLOWS.   It's a total return shot game with non-stop flow.  The combos get just silly when you get in the groove.

Anyone wants to stop in and play one day, just hit me up!   

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Cactus Canyon Cont...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »
Very cool Jason!  I will have to play that at some point.

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »
Apparently I haven't even scratched the surface, bc I'm seeing new modes and animations almost every game I played.     Had a switch/software issue and had to reload all the files.   Playing great again but have a drop target with an issue I'll sort out today.   This CC has been in storage for many years and still working out little kinks.

Other than a session at the PAPA facility at least a few times per trip, this is the most I've played a CC.    It's too bad it got cut off at the knees, bc it's an excellent design and shoots wonderfully.
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
Ringmaster was the last Tribute mode I hadn't seen and finally got it. 
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

anything