Author Topic: Star Wars LE  (Read 1176 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Star Wars LE
« on: September 03, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »
Well, first NIB pin in many years, after I swore I'd never buy another NIB, cancelled Hobbit, cancelled Lebowski, never even considered Dialed-In (worst theme in the history of pinball?), or any of the boutiques.   But original Star Wars theme by SR had me curious, and I played the Pro at the local bowling alley couple weeks ago, and was surprised how much I enjoyed hitting the flowing shots and how immersive the theme/video/sound/lighting became as I played.... but still in the "Nah, not going to buy new, will wait and see" category.   After watching some of the online vids, the Twitch TV 2 hour vid in particular where Elwin puts 4-5 balls in the Hyper-Loop, I was beginning to soften and get curious, and moved into a "Maybe a premium" category.  Saw the first vid of Death Star destruction by Zach, and I was getting caught in the pull of the tractor beam for sure.    Then I got a call from a friend who said he could get me an LE at bottom cost, no inflated markups, and I slept on it and pulled the trigger.  YOLO, right!  :) 

Apparently there was a close call with a forklift somewhere along the way, but before the shippers left I ripped it open and used a flashlight to make sure there was no damage.  The forklift JUST missed the cabinet by about 1/2 inch.   WHEW!   Unboxed this beauty and played some games on the early code yesterday.   

Game plays like lightening, with silky smooth shots and combos.  The center loop is always a combo opportunity, and I still marvel at how well designed the shots are and how SR does it.  The amount of micro-tweaking needed to get the shots to flow into each other several different ways on the fly must be extraordinary, I can only imagine.    Ramps can be backhanded, and even the Death Star can (though it takes a perfect shot to do it).    Feels great to shoot.

I updated last night to newest code, after getting a new faster USB stick.   The old one I had would not work.  The new updates at 4 gigs, and apparently require a faster USB than I had. 

Still learning the basics of the rules, which are bit complex with the multiplier shots, but so far just finding joy in shooting around, being immersed in the Star Wars world with the sights and sounds, and totally amazed by the HyperLoop.   First time I hit it, it comes screaming down and your mind tells you to FLIP as it is flying down towards the flipper!  Second time as well!   It's a killer feature.   Have not destroyed the Death Star or even close yet.   Looking forward to learning the rules and discovering more of the game in the future.   It seems the rules are heavy on multiplier placement and bonus strategy, in terms of points, and deep in terms of game progression, completing the planet modes and whatever comes after that.  I'll find out!  For now, just having fun with it and thought I'd share.   Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day weekend!! 

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Star Wars LE
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
couple more...
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Getyourselfahotdog

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
Nice pick up Jason! Please post a viable strategy once you figure out the rules. I got to play a few games at Cafe 1 and was destroyed for lack of knowledge on gen rules. I know to put the multiplier shots on the Death Star and 2 shots on either side of it as that's where the points seem to be. Picking R2 was the way I was going but picking Princess Leia had easier modes to complete for quicker points.

Also any signs of ghosting? I thought Stern figured that out as I saw no machines with any sign of ghosting with AS. The LE Star Wars at Cafe 1'already has signs around the big green Endor insert just above the flippers. That one couldn't have had more than 50 plays on it at the time.

Again, congratulations and I agree with you, YOLO! The Star Wars LE should hold there value on theme alone.

Offline doghouse

• Kingpin
  • Have You Had Your Shot Of Pinball Today?
    • The Pinball Asylum
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »
Great review Jason. Was psyched to hear that you pulled the trigger on this. Congrats. That Dead Flip video with Elwin you pointed me to is indeed impressive. Can't wait to see the Hyperloop in person.
When in Fort Myers, visit THE PINBALL ASYLUM!

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:53:21 PM »
Awesome Jason!  Glad you got a dream theme!

I too love the Steve Ritchie games for the fast buttery shots.  I got to play SW Premium at the Pinball Lounge the other day and was pretty impressed despite all the different agendas I've read on Pinside.  First of all it feels solid as hell and must have 15 feet of metal ramps on the playfield!  The two displays are awesome.  I really like how they have incorporated them with the rules and there are so many video clips it doesn't get boring.  I saw Nick get like 8 billion on the machine and there was a lot of really cool stuff going on that I look forward to exploring some day.  Even at that level it didn't seem redundant or like chopping wood.  At this point I really have a lot of respect for Dwight Sullivan.  He made a big difference on Star Trek even after coming in long after the game was released.  This game has been his since the beginning and he really showed his pride in the outcome during the Dead Flip video.

I hope to have a Premium soon myself and I'm looking forward to seeing what the topper looks like.  The Stern toppers are big bucks but I think this one will be really cool and will hold its value.
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
Buzzkill update:  >:(

Looks like the Node Board issues plaguing GB owners are still around.    3rd day of play, I powered it on and got these errors on powerup.  Bade Node Board 8.

To make matters worse, Stern service makes you jump through extra hoops now to get your part.  You identify your problem with Stern, then have to deal with your distributor, who gets back to you in a few days, and then confirms what you already know, then informs Stern of what you already informed them of, and then (hopefully?) Stern sends a replacement out to you....several days of extraneous communication relays before it gets in the mail.  Still waiting.

Previously, you call Pat Powers, he asks a few questions, maybe even has you touch a couple points with a DMM while he waits, then puts your part in the mail, and 2 days later it arrives and you're playing pinball again.  You talk to Pat on Tues and Thurs afternoon you're playing pinball again.   Apparently, those are the Good Ol Days.   >:(   One thing I always liked about Stern was their Service/Parts Replacement.   (JJP's was an utter nightmare!   Looks like Stern is leaning in that direction now, sadly....)

Anyway, no gameplay updates until it's fixed.  Game is unplayable if any of those little Node boards go out, and let's hope this is just random bad luck and not a sign of things to come.   I've seen several of these same errors online, Pro and LE.     
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:37:33 PM »
That sucks.  Yeah this is where the better distributors will hopefully step up. 
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
Yeah, new board is en route, but would've been nice to have since cooped up for days because of Irma, with a few days to go.   Looks like we are going to get lucky, hopefully, this time around.  It's the Tampa guys who are in the crosshairs now.   Hopefully it keeps moving W more and more and we'll all be spared anything serious!!

On a side note, I saw the invoice for the little Node 8 pcb.   $261!   Ouch.   I believe there are several of these Nodes under the playfield.  If so, it makes me think twice about keeping the machine out of warranty if these look to be consistently defective or problematic.  :(
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Getyourselfahotdog

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
My node board 8 went out on my Kiss LE, the game was purchased in 2015 so no warranty for me. I was told it is a transistor that is going bad on these, I was only charged $190.00 which is what I was told was at cost. How can an operator make his investment back if he or she gets hit with bad boards like this!

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
Well I got my Node board replaced, but the big problem is that when the Node board went out, it took out the trough boards, and numerous light boards.  The damn light boards are daisy chained (Grrr!  Stupidity) so I've replaced 2 light boards, and still waiting on another (apparently, they are on back order - must be common problem), and then I still might need another.  No way to know until you plug them in.

This is unfortunately beginning to remind me of the nightmare I had with the WOZ light boards from JJP.   :(  Ultimately why I got rid of WOZ and basically wrote-off JJP pins entirely. 

Really bummed that they can't figure this stuff out, and keep replacement parts in stock.   Stern has mimicked JJP's service dept now as well.   Can't just call Pat Powers and get replacements sent out anymore, you have to deal with distributor, who deals with Stern service, and just muddies the water and makes everything take longer.

I love the game, but we'll see how it holds up when the new light boards come in.  If any other failures over the winter, I'll be moving on...
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

anything