Author Topic: Retirement?  (Read 92 times)

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Retirement?
« on: November 21, 2017, 11:32:04 PM »
2004 APE to 2017 FPF. 

I have been prepping games weeks and month ahead of time and bringing them to every single APE and SPF/FPF show.  No regrets, loved having people enjoy my pins and making a major contribution to the quality of machines each year.  If I had it to do over again, I would do it exactly the same.  That said, I am now officially done.  I'm trying to simplify my life in many ways and this is just one of them.   This year I backed off a lot from my 2016 FPF participation by only bringing five games from my collection.  This was like a semi-retirement and I was able to roam the show and relax more than normal.  Next year I plan to be simply a show patron.  I will pay my way in the door and spend my time socializing and playing pinball. 

It was a lot of work, but also rewarding work.  I encourage people with collections to make the effort to step up and fill my void for a few years.  If you do it like I do, you will spend a lot of time getting the game perfect before the show to minimize breakdowns.  There might be a thing or two to fix at the show, but the show acts as a shake down to find problem.  At that point I have generally found that just a quick cleaning, ball replacement and waxing is needed after the show and the games will be better than ever.  In short the games I take to shows are the cleanest and best functioning games in my collection for the next year.  The wear they receive at the show is negligible especially if you use new balls and wax before the show.

For those who know me and want to play my games, just let me know when you are nearby Cocoa and we can try to make plan!
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline the architect

• Flipper Cowboy
Re: Retirement?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
There are few that do what you do sir, and it is much appreciated by all. I know I usually find myself entertaining a purchase of a game I would usually pass up for whatever reason, just because it has had a John I treatment.
wants:   WW, alienstar, BSD, MB, STLE, volley, 2001, JJack

current pins

AC/DC premium
WOF
Skateball
EBD
Abracadabra
Central Park
pinball (stern EM)
Jungle princess (EM)
Mmr
Medusa

http://s468.photobucket.com/user/crewcontractors/library/?sort=3&postlogin=true&src=wap&page=1

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
Well deserved break, as I can't think of any local collector who put more effort into tweaking and bringing perfectly tuned machines to all the shows consistently over these past few years.   Hope to hang out soon and play some pinball! 
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline pinballcorpse

• Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 11:08:13 PM »
I've always appreciated how well your games worked, John, especially in the tourneys.  Thanks for all of your dedication over the years.
"It's better to make it to the finals and play like sh*t than to not make it to the finals at all"-Josh Sharpe, pinball pro and IFPA president

anything