Author Topic: Atari Jaguar anyone?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Atari Jaguar anyone?
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Was anyone else a fan of this ill-fated system?   I fondly remember the television ads leading up to its release... 64-bit...  Do+the+Math!  When I saw the commerical for AvP with the 3D engine I was interested, and when I read in GameFan that you could play as Predator and spectrum change to infrared and all that...well, then I was DONE!  I was so broke saving up for this system I remember not buying a few books I needed that semester (and trying to borrow books/notes from chics) just to buy that Jag and AvP!

I was digging through some buried closet stuff tonight, looking for boxes which can be thrown out since the long overdue admission that I am a hoarder, and found my Jaguar stash.  What a game AvP was!  The receipt was in the box.  $75!  From March '95.  That's how hot of a release it was.  Of course we all know now that initial "WoW" factor lived only a few months, and AvP and T2k were its only Killer Apps, and a console could not compete against Nintendo, Sega and Sony with only two killer apps.   I remember AvP carts were on clearance for $6.99 at the same ToysRUs less than a year later.

When I was putting together the first issue of my old fanzine, about 10 years ago, I knew I wanted a Jaguar article of some kind in it, but I hadn't followed the system much since its decline.  When I dug into it online and realised there was a new release: the long-rumored-vaporware cartridge 'Battle Sphere' and it was getting rave reviews, I contacted the design team for an interview and they also sent me a copy of the game to review.  Considering they were sold out, and knew the carts were already bringing a premium on ebay, sending me a cart was really generous of them.  I played it long enough to get a feel for it, and give it a review.  I remember it feeling like Tie Fighter, the ridiculously epic classic pc game, but not quite as easy to play and understand, and a few years too late.  But very good.   Could it have been Killer App #3 if it was released 5 years earlier?  Probably not.  Nothing was going to stop the PSX freight train once it got rolling, and the Jaguar had a whole mess of problems that were never going to be fixed.  But it probably would've caused more book sharing!  ;)

Here's to the Jaguar!  I'm going to proudly keep hoarding it.  :)
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
Re: Atari Jaguar anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »
You should set it up at Gamewarp!
That's up their alley!

http://www.scatologic.com/

Battlesphere Gold (REVIEW) - Atari Jaguar

Offline panootz

• Raven
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
I never had an Atari Jaguar i did have a lot of other consoles though and one of my favorites was 3DO, i wish i had never sold it. I had all the American Laser Games on it like Mad Dog Mccree 1 and 2, the last bounty Hunter, Crime Patrol 1 and 2, who shot Johnny rock and Space pirates i bought a 3DO just for those games and a great gun to go with it. I do still own an Atari Lynx handheld, i have about 40 or more games for it along with the pinball jam which has Elvira and the party monsters and Police force. I also have Shadow of the beast great game, i had all 3 shadow of the beasts on my Amiga 500 when i had that to. Those games were killer on the amiga, did you guys know that Amiga 2000 computers help run the rides at Disney world/Disneyland i read it in a disney magizine a long time ago. Things have probably changed since then at disney so who knows how the rides are run know. I bought a DSi for Dragon's Lair 1 and 2, and Space Ace, well talk to you all later.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
I never had an Atari Jaguar i did have a lot of other consoles though and one of my favorites was 3DO, i wish i had never sold it. I had all the American Laser Games on it like Mad Dog Mccree 1 and 2, the last bounty Hunter, Crime Patrol 1 and 2, who shot Johnny rock and Space pirates i bought a 3DO just for those games and a great gun to go with it. I do still own an Atari Lynx handheld, i have about 40 or more games for it along with the pinball jam which has Elvira and the party monsters and Police force. I also have Shadow of the beast great game, i had all 3 shadow of the beasts on my Amiga 500 when i had that to. Those games were killer on the amiga, did you guys know that Amiga 2000 computers help run the rides at Disney world/Disneyland i read it in a disney magizine a long time ago. Things have probably changed since then at disney so who knows how the rides are run know. I bought a DSi for Dragon's Lair 1 and 2, and Space Ace, well talk to you all later.

I never had a 3D0 back in the day.   If I thought the Jag was expensive, then the 3d0 was downright ridiculous.  $799 for the system at Babbages I remember, and the games were over $100.  I have to say that I wanted one after playing the kiosk with some amazing racing game, but it was just out of my reach even with book-sharing!  lol   But I did own one years later, which I purchased unawares.   

I bought a nice, working Mad Dog McCree 2 at the Orlando auction (probably circa 2003) and brought it home, looked inside and what do I see?  A freaking 3D0 system sitting in the bottom of the cabinet, factory wired out to arcade specs!  LOL  I was cracking up.  It was still impressive what that system could do.   The video was a little grainy, but otherwise emulated a laserdisc game pretty darn well.  I played it for a bit, then sold it. 

I know the Playchoices were just emulating the NES on different hardware, but how many other video arcade machines were released with consoles off the shelf of Toys R Us wired straight into the machine?  There's probably a few other examples, but not many.
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
I remember buying a Jaguar when they first came out.  I played it a ton; it was a great machine for the time.  I sold it to a friend of mine.  I was always an Atari fan in the old days.  I had an Atari 800 computer and also a 1040ST.

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »
I remember buying a Jaguar when they first came out.  I played it a ton; it was a great machine for the time.  I sold it to a friend of mine.  I was always an Atari fan in the old days.  I had an Atari 800 computer and also a 1040ST.

What other games were you into, besides T2k and AvP?   

I remember Iron Soldier being pretty darn cool..you could really immerse yourself in that one.   I had the Jag Cd but never had anything other than a very average Primal Rage and some other throw-in game; I bought it solely for Jeff Minter's VLM, which much like the Jag itself was cool only for a short time before it was leapfrogged.   

I remember buying a bunch of games when they were on clearance the next year, some were seriously $1.99.  Hover Strike was one of those.  Super Burnout.  Kasumi Ninja.   Fight for Life.  Most all of them were terrible games, which had a far superior version/type of game on a different system.  And once Mario64 was released, the Jag was officially an ancient machine. 

I picked up a Jag with Doom at a Flea Market for $20 a few years ago, and planned to link two of them up, but never did.  Doom actually plays surprisingly smooth and fluid on the Jag.   Not sure how well they link up though.  That'd be cool for GameWarp!  But I doubt I'll be able to make it this year with all I have going on.   Maybe next year we can make a Jag Booth!

I was also into Atari since the 2600...I skipped the computers but none of the consoles...5200,7800..even the Lynx, which was a phenomenal handheld system.  My affection for Atari added to my fever for the Jag's launch hype, I'm sure, but I would've been hyped on any system with those commercials, ads and specs at that point in time.   It's a really neat system which holds many fond memories.  :D
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I loved AvP.  It's hard to remember the other games I had.  I remember Raiden, Tempest 2000 and Wolfenstein 3d.  Tempest 2000 was awesome.

Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mcjeremy42

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »
When I first started @ Disney, The Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular's audio was run off of an Amiga for routing.  Now, 3 generations of gear later (ie: 13 years), it's run off of a mac and a PC and a lot of proprietary hardware.  The rides were all brought up to "date" around 2000, and I think that all the Amigas are phased out.  Haven't seen one in years. 

Still have my 800 xl, and my 1040ST died when I was in college, dammit.  I still have the tape deck, modem, and lots of games for the 800, but I need a floppy drive, as mine died. 

I played the Jaguar in a toy store years ago, and liked the games, but the controller and price killed any desire to own one.

But I still have the 800xl, a 2600, and my parents old Super Pong!  Always have a soft spot for Atari!
--j
Vids: DK/DK2, Defender, Midway Cocktail w/Arcade SD, Space Invaders Deluxe, Tron, Rampage WT, Megatouch Maxx
Pins: Amazing Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Mr & Mrs Pac-Man, Apollo 13, Judge Dredd, Target Alpha, Centigrade 37
Pachinko:  Spider-Man Neo
Home Sys: Super Pong, 2600, 800xl, NES, Snes, N64, GC, Wii, SMS, Genesis, SCD,
                  32X, Saturn, DC, Xbox, PS2, PS3, GBA, DS, PSP, PC

Offline Greywolf

• Kingpin
    • FreePlayServices
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
I have a HUGE Amiga collection...I even have an American Lasergames "Crime Patrol 2" that runs on an Amiga 500 connected to a laserdisc.

Offline panootz

• Raven
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:30:02 PM »
I have Mad Dog collection for the Wii, it comes with Mad Dog 1 and 2, and The last Bounty Hunter. I finished the Last Bounty Hunter, but Mad Dog and Mad Dog 2 i can't play well it says holster the gun for a showdown then fire i try but i can't seem to kill anybody in the showdowns and i don't know why their too fast and theirs no way too slow them down. But i'm satisfied with The Last Bounty Hunter. Know where's the rest of the games on the Wii like Crime Patrol 1 and 2, Who shot Johnny rock, and Space Pirates, i guess their waiting for the Wii u to come out the next version of Nintendo's Wii, can't they come up with a better name then the Wii u.

anything