GAME ON !!! > Home Video Consoles

Atari Jaguar anyone?

(1/2) > >>

mECHsLAVE:
Was anyone else a fan of this ill-fated system?   I fondly remember the television ads leading up to its release... 64-bit...  Do+the+Math!  When I saw the commerical for AvP with the 3D engine I was interested, and when I read in GameFan that you could play as Predator and spectrum change to infrared and all that...well, then I was DONE!  I was so broke saving up for this system I remember not buying a few books I needed that semester (and trying to borrow books/notes from chics) just to buy that Jag and AvP!

I was digging through some buried closet stuff tonight, looking for boxes which can be thrown out since the long overdue admission that I am a hoarder, and found my Jaguar stash.  What a game AvP was!  The receipt was in the box.  $75!  From March '95.  That's how hot of a release it was.  Of course we all know now that initial "WoW" factor lived only a few months, and AvP and T2k were its only Killer Apps, and a console could not compete against Nintendo, Sega and Sony with only two killer apps.   I remember AvP carts were on clearance for $6.99 at the same ToysRUs less than a year later.

When I was putting together the first issue of my old fanzine, about 10 years ago, I knew I wanted a Jaguar article of some kind in it, but I hadn't followed the system much since its decline.  When I dug into it online and realised there was a new release: the long-rumored-vaporware cartridge 'Battle Sphere' and it was getting rave reviews, I contacted the design team for an interview and they also sent me a copy of the game to review.  Considering they were sold out, and knew the carts were already bringing a premium on ebay, sending me a cart was really generous of them.  I played it long enough to get a feel for it, and give it a review.  I remember it feeling like Tie Fighter, the ridiculously epic classic pc game, but not quite as easy to play and understand, and a few years too late.  But very good.   Could it have been Killer App #3 if it was released 5 years earlier?  Probably not.  Nothing was going to stop the PSX freight train once it got rolling, and the Jaguar had a whole mess of problems that were never going to be fixed.  But it probably would've caused more book sharing!  ;)

Here's to the Jaguar!  I'm going to proudly keep hoarding it.  :)

Miracleman:
You should set it up at Gamewarp!
That's up their alley!

http://www.scatologic.com/

Battlesphere Gold (REVIEW) - Atari Jaguar

panootz:
I never had an Atari Jaguar i did have a lot of other consoles though and one of my favorites was 3DO, i wish i had never sold it. I had all the American Laser Games on it like Mad Dog Mccree 1 and 2, the last bounty Hunter, Crime Patrol 1 and 2, who shot Johnny rock and Space pirates i bought a 3DO just for those games and a great gun to go with it. I do still own an Atari Lynx handheld, i have about 40 or more games for it along with the pinball jam which has Elvira and the party monsters and Police force. I also have Shadow of the beast great game, i had all 3 shadow of the beasts on my Amiga 500 when i had that to. Those games were killer on the amiga, did you guys know that Amiga 2000 computers help run the rides at Disney world/Disneyland i read it in a disney magizine a long time ago. Things have probably changed since then at disney so who knows how the rides are run know. I bought a DSi for Dragon's Lair 1 and 2, and Space Ace, well talk to you all later.

mECHsLAVE:

--- Quote from: panootz on August 01, 2011, 09:24:14 PM ---I never had an Atari Jaguar i did have a lot of other consoles though and one of my favorites was 3DO, i wish i had never sold it. I had all the American Laser Games on it like Mad Dog Mccree 1 and 2, the last bounty Hunter, Crime Patrol 1 and 2, who shot Johnny rock and Space pirates i bought a 3DO just for those games and a great gun to go with it. I do still own an Atari Lynx handheld, i have about 40 or more games for it along with the pinball jam which has Elvira and the party monsters and Police force. I also have Shadow of the beast great game, i had all 3 shadow of the beasts on my Amiga 500 when i had that to. Those games were killer on the amiga, did you guys know that Amiga 2000 computers help run the rides at Disney world/Disneyland i read it in a disney magizine a long time ago. Things have probably changed since then at disney so who knows how the rides are run know. I bought a DSi for Dragon's Lair 1 and 2, and Space Ace, well talk to you all later.

--- End quote ---

I never had a 3D0 back in the day.   If I thought the Jag was expensive, then the 3d0 was downright ridiculous.  $799 for the system at Babbages I remember, and the games were over $100.  I have to say that I wanted one after playing the kiosk with some amazing racing game, but it was just out of my reach even with book-sharing!  lol   But I did own one years later, which I purchased unawares.   

I bought a nice, working Mad Dog McCree 2 at the Orlando auction (probably circa 2003) and brought it home, looked inside and what do I see?  A freaking 3D0 system sitting in the bottom of the cabinet, factory wired out to arcade specs!  LOL  I was cracking up.  It was still impressive what that system could do.   The video was a little grainy, but otherwise emulated a laserdisc game pretty darn well.  I played it for a bit, then sold it. 

I know the Playchoices were just emulating the NES on different hardware, but how many other video arcade machines were released with consoles off the shelf of Toys R Us wired straight into the machine?  There's probably a few other examples, but not many.

John I:
I remember buying a Jaguar when they first came out.  I played it a ton; it was a great machine for the time.  I sold it to a friend of mine.  I was always an Atari fan in the old days.  I had an Atari 800 computer and also a 1040ST.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version