Author Topic: Fantasy Finals  (Read 2448 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Fantasy Finals
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:23 PM »
Just had to post this.  I know I talked Fantasy with Ron, Sean and a couple others at SPF.  

Our season ended last night and Steve (Metal Militia) a FL collector who many of you know lost.... by .14 pts.   It was our closest matchup of the entire league season, and of course it was in the finals.  

Steve still had Julio Jones, Michael Turner and Drew Brees last night, and Ariel was all checked in from Saturday.  So watching Steve gain almost 50 pts last night to nearly come back was very exciting.  I did cash by taking the 3rd place game pretty easily (where were Nelson and Welker last week?).   Fun times!

We should have a SPF Fantasy League next year, if we can get a dozen people interested.  Maybe make it a charity league, where the prize money is donated to a pinball cause in the winner's name at the end of the season, etc.  PPM, or FLIPS, or Asylum, etc?

Anyway, good luck to Ron, Sean and everyone else in Fantasy!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
Re: OT: Fantasy Finals
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
Before Spencer locks the thread and berates us for being off topic...Yea a SPF fantasy football might be fun next year.. 

I spent much of the latter part of the season juggling RB's, and limped into my playoffs with only two serviceable RB's on my roster at any point in time,.. AP kinda blew it for me all 3 playoff weeks, on top of 2 out of 3 weeks my opponent had an amazing week.  Oh well there's always next year.

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
c'mon now, you guys know better.
pinball.
arcade.
very rare ot slippage (xmas thread)
no freaking sports for sure.
THUNK!

Hey! I LIKE sports!
I guess 'I' don't know better!
Knock yourselves out!

I'll go first...
Wow! What a crazy week in UK soccer.
Manchester United has lost their last two games.
One of them to the team at the BOTTOM of the table, Blackburn Rovers!
I'm really not a Man U fan, and think Wayne Rooney is a punk, so I was jumping up and down watching Match of the Day.

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:27:08 PM »
I lost all of my running backs the last week.  I made it to the
 thanks to Weller and Brees, but lost A P   Greg jenningS and
Marion Barber for most of the    Still finished fourth & got my
Money back with a little extra.   Strange season

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:02:32 AM »
I lost AP and Greg Jennings as well.  Shonn Greene was my other RB.  As for the other RBs, I spent the entire season rotating through the entire roster of Browns and Redskins running backs trying to guess which one will play or make it through the season.... Hillis, Hardesty, Obgonnaya, Hightower, Helu, Torain.  By the time Hillis and Hightower were injured, mass chaos ensued and not being able to hold 8 RB's on my roster I wound up letting go of the only one of the bunch worth a roster spot the second half of the season (Helu).  I missed out on Demarco Murray by a hair and I almost pulled the trigger on a Chris Johnson trade but the week I was going to do it he started putting up numbers.  If I got any one of those 3 RBs and I would have had a real solid roster and should have been in the money, but alas, no one lent me their crystal ball.

Offline Ron Donohue

• Demolition Man
Re: Fantasy Finals
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »
I picked up Helu and Barber when James Starks went bye-bye for a while.  I started with some good backs, but they slowly but surely went away, with an acceleration at the end.  But, other folks had it worse.  One guy was leading the league, then lost his second through fifth round picks in a period of two weeks.  So, I slipped into the playoffs thanks to going a little early and betting my money on Brees and Welker, both of which turned out better than expected.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
I was pretty happy with my team, and if not for the sub-par performances in the semi-final game against Steve (MetalMilita) then you can see I would've taken the Finals by .10 pts.   Very close to winning our league...ugh.

My RBs and WRs I had very good luck with, and kept them all from draft night:

RB: McCoy, Rice, and Benson.  I played Benson only on byes for Rice or McCoy, or in the flex spot once or twice. 

WRs:  Marshall, Welker, Nelson, and AJ Green.   I'm pretty proud of my WR draft picks, because Nelson and Green were late round picks, and were gold this year.  I often found myself benching the guy who had the insane week, though!   It was tough, but Marshall and Welker were the most consistent, guaranteed points.  They were my core WRs in Fantasy last season as well.

QB: I drafted Big Ben, but had to cut him in like week 3 when he checked in 6 pts against the Ravens and cost me a win, plus he was injured.  I picked up Ryan and kept him the rest of the way.  Ryan isn't going to get you the Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Newton weeks of 30+ or even 40+ pts, but he consistently checks in 20 pts, which is really all I ask of my fantasy QB.

TEs and Defenses, I was all over the place.  I settled on Pettigrew most of the season, and either the Fins or Texans on D.   For Kicker, I went with the tortoise consistency of Crosby, who mostly kicked EPs.

It was a fun season!  Looking forward to playing in a FPF Pinball Charity League next season with you guys, if there's interest.  Maybe cap at 12 people, $50 buy in, $25 to pinball charity of winner's choice.  Something like that?  Maybe $100 if everyone is feeling crazy?   

Any of you guys doing the Playoff Challenge?  I made an entry just now for fun.  :)  I love football!  Sad the season is coming to an end, cause I don't watch any other sports really.  My gf will be happy though!  LOL
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
I did a lot of Fantasy Football from about 1989 to 2005.  towards the end I was usually in at least two leagues.  Finally I got burnt out and just quit.  Back in the day we had to call or physically turn in our lineups or call them in by phone.  Scoring was completely manual and the official scores came from the the USA Today sports page (even if it was wrong, it was what was agreed upon...).

The last two years I have been in a Fantasy Basketball league.  Its pretty low key - no money.  We do a rotisserie format, so there is no head to head or playoffs.  Scoring and lineups are done on ESPN.com.   My team name is Balls Deep.  Right now I am in first place.  Hopefully LeBron James isn't hurt for too long or that will change!

I definitely think we should get together a FPF Fantasy Football League next year...

John
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 12:03:47 AM »
I did a lot of Fantasy Football from about 1989 to 2005.  towards the end I was usually in at least two leagues.  Finally I got burnt out and just quit.  Back in the day we had to call or physically turn in our lineups or call them in by phone.  Scoring was completely manual and the official scores came from the the USA Today sports page (even if it was wrong, it was what was agreed upon...).

I've been in the same FF league for 20 years, the draft was originally done in person, with magazines and paper and pencil.  Our commissioner used the sports page for calculations and phone was the means of communication.  Our commissioner at one point paid someone to develop software that he hoped to sell to do the automated scoring for FFL commissioners by downloading stats via a modem, but he never finished it .. then came the internet but even then it took years before people built web sites to do that.  Now all stats and news are instantaneous, and we can run the league even more efficently spread across 3 states.

anything