Author Topic: My vizpin is growing on me  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
My vizpin is growing on me
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »
 ::)
I figured my vizpin is the ultimate 'Home Video Console', so I'll post this here.

I used to give Jeff Scott so much crap about visual pinball, screaming I HATE IT! over and over until I passed out or puked. Or both.
Honestly I had no time to play it before the Southern Pinball Festival, and it was at least two weeks AFTER that I had some time to put some time on it.

The reason I disliked VP so much before was because everybody played it on ONE monitor with the 'perspective' view. ugh.
After seeing the guy in Europe do his I said 'THAT'S the way to do it!" and started down an OUTTA CONTROL path to the vizpin I now know and love.
I still don't know how to INSTALL the stuff, I tried to put in the BEAUTIFUL new Whitewater table and failed, so Doctor Compran will have to make a housecall in 2012 to give it a tuneup and install some new gems.

Play/delay on it varies from game to game. On some there is the slight flipper delay, which you do get used to after a game or two and compensate for. On others there is NO DELAY, which makes me think it's in how each game is (re) created, and not the 'video card'. But again, I don't know how any of that stuff works either, since Sauron himself had to hook up all the computer guts for me.

I've got the mercury tilt sensors hooked up, but have yet to mount them. It's funny that even now I will SLIDE THAT FREAKIN GAME three feet to one side to do a ball save and nothing happens. I can't help it, it's my natural reaction. I just do it and then laugh. It's a fun time.

A couple mentions on some of the games...

ALI- the older games with less playfield 'toys' pretty much play without any delay, since less graphics are being crunched. ALI, much like the champ STILL would, kicked my butt the first couple times I played it. It's QUICK return lanes keep you on your toes.

ATTACK FROM MARS- AFM is a game that despite it's popularity I never really got into, but now that I've put some time on the VP version I need to get over to John I's again and pound on the real thing for a while. I've played this a lot, and will be able to compare the real and fake.

BAD CATS- Having owned this for a couple years before selling it to Brian Jones, I can honestly say that this is an AMAZING simulation. It is pretty much like playing the real thing. Like all vp tables, there is a little 'slop' with how gravity/game rubbers/metal REALLY reacts, but again it's gonna depend on WHO recreated the game.

CIRQUS VOLTAIRE- points out the one main vp flaw, the plunger. You hold in a button to draw back the plunger, and release when the tip is pulled back as far as you want it. The big suck is that once it's drawn down, you can't ease it back up again for a lighter plunge. It's full strength. So you have to watch it and release it by eyesight and HOPE it hits the skill shot or other goal on other games. CV plays great though, although when a lot is going on the ball can jitter a bit.

CLASS OF 1812- boy, I don't get all the recent hype/desire for this one. Gameplay to me is ok, but as much as I like the Gottliebs of that time the pf art is U-G-L-Y. This adaptation also suffers from what a few other vps do also...FAT FLIPPERS. Maybe it's the perspective setting for this game, but they are as big as hot dogs, and the ball is as big as a golf ball. It plays S-L-O-W. One neat thing this and some other pre-dmd vps have is animated score IN the backglass. It takes a bit more programming to do that, most have the led displays show up on the dmd part of a cabinet vp like mine.

CONGO- is a good vp adaptation, because it plays as easy as the real one does! I like the game though, again it grew on me the more I played it.

That's all for now, I'll add more quickie reviews to this thread another time.

Offline klassic

• Kingpin
Re: M vizpin is growing on me
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:09:05 PM »
CLASS OF 1812- boy, I don't get all the recent hype/desire for this one. Gameplay to me is ok, but as much as I like the Gottliebs of that time the pf art is U-G-L-Y. This adaptation also suffers from what a few other vps do also...FAT FLIPPERS. Maybe it's the perspective setting for this game, but they are as big as hot dogs, and the ball is as big as a golf ball. It plays S-L-O-W.

so you're saying the gottlieb is a perfect translation to how it is in real life?  :P

Offline doghouse

• Kingpin
  • Have You Had Your Shot Of Pinball Today?
    • The Pinball Asylum
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:07:42 PM »
Nice review, Spence.  I've always been personally interested in VP, but the actually product when I've played it has always seemed to disappoint. 

That said, the limited time I put on yours at SPF, made me rethink the concept.  Yours played great and the build quality and look was sweet.  I do believe you when you say that you get used to the flipper delay, but this has always been the main bugaboo for me. 

No way will VP EVER replace real pinball for me, but I really like the idea of playing games that I may never own, or playing games that I find I want to own.  I look forward to playing yours more.  Bringing it to APE?

When in Fort Myers, visit THE PINBALL ASYLUM!

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »
Absolutely coming to APE with it!

Offline bjones

• Raven
Re: My vizpin is growing on me
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried to make a real pinball plunger for vizpins?  If virtual pinball can take an input number for the plunger speed I bet you could use an arduino and couple well placed optos turn a real plunger pull into a digital rate of speed.

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »
Yep Yep, there was one made, and the guy in Europe had one in his first game that I copied, but he didn't like its reaction and took it out. I think it's this one...

http://nanotechent.com/mot-ionkit.php

Some people use a real plunger with just a simple micro-switch at the end, but that's just the same as pushing a button.

Also someone last year rigged a mouse wheel to pull the plunger and it works SWEET, but was in Future Pinball and I don't know if it would work for VP.

Custom analog plunger for virtual pinball cabinets

Offline klassic

• Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:33:11 AM »
i don't know what adam has electronic wise, but he has a small version of visual pinball, or some other pinball emulator (home built cabinet, uses 2 LCDs for the effect), and it uses and functions with a real plunger. friggen trick. :)

Offline mandelbloom

• Raven
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:09:22 PM »
Yea that's me :) plunger works if the table is programmed to use it . It's analog so like a real plunger. It's not perfect though. My cab uses a 32 inch and 19 inch monitor. Some tables are quite good. AFM for example is quite close to the real game .

Offline klassic

• Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »
i miss this thing. it was fun.

there were some good tables out for it: whitewater, whirlwind, bad cats, AFM, big bang bar were the ones i played the most. but some EMs and a lot of the solid states got use as well.

class of 1812 would probably have the highest usage to it while in my possession. it was done sooooo well!

the flipper issue got dialed in almost perfect for no lag, but the only issue was, there was a slight lag if you slapped the pinball at speed, but usually zero lag if you caught the ball and aimed your shots.

someone incorporated a 3D tv and video card for his visual pinball machine, and WOW...i'd give it 5 years, and a visual pinball will be 98% of what a real pinball machine is. what 60in1's did for arcade prices, i'm hoping that happens again. :)

anything