Author Topic: It's time for Superbowl predictions!!  (Read 2545 times)

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
It's time for Superbowl predictions!!
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »
Yes, the time has come for a significant decrease in my Directv bill now that the Sunday Ticket is over.  That means it is also time for Superbowl Predictions.

I really think the Giants are a team of destiny this year.  I realize the Giants were terrible against the pass in the regular season. but they have been playing great lately.  Not to mention that Gronkowski is hobbled.  Whoever wins, I think this will be a great rematch and a great Superbowl.

So my prediction is:

Giants 34 - Pats 31

John
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: It's time for Superbowl predictions!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
I'm going to pick the Giants also.   

The Giants have the more complete offense of the two teams, although not as many receiving weapons.  But the Giants can put the ball down the field, and are able to run the ball effectively.  Eli is battle-ready and has been making key reads and protecting the ball well throughout the playoffs, under some extreme pressure.  And their Defensive line has been killer, coming up with really good schemes to bring smart pressure.   As long as they didn't leave it all in the Championship game, the SB should go to the Giants.   

The Pats have a lot of weapons on O, and will have a trick or two up their sleeve...look for a lot of check down reads and delays, to counter the pressure from the Giants line.  But it just doesn't seem like the Pats are as complete a team as the Giants, and were lucky to get out of the Championship game with a win against the Ravens. 

Giants 28 - Pats 24

-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
I have to go with the Giants although it should be a close game.  Eli is the MVP on offense and Jason Pierre-Paul has been a monster on defense.  Without him, the G-Men would not be in the Super Bowl.

This is the only time of the year I actually watch the commercials.  Here is hoping this year's crop is better than last year.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »

This is the only time of the year I actually watch the commercials.  Here is hoping this year's crop is better than last year.

I hear there will be a Soup Nazi commercial this year.  Also, a Ferris Bueller commercial!

John
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:01:23 PM »
I saw this matchup coming a few weeks ago.  The Giants are a more balanced team, Eli is coming off one of the best seasons of his career, and I still think they may be in Brady's head, he hasn't been the same dominant player since the last time they met in the Superbowl.   Don't count out the Pats with 2 weeks to game plan, but I'd lean toward the Giants outlasting the Pats, 27-24. 

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »
Here's the Madden 12 prediction  :)

Madden NFL 12 - Super Bowl XLVI Sim - Patriots vs Giants

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Well, it was a fun game!   

A couple crucial penalties at crucial times kept the game even in the first half.   Then it was: Who's going to make the big plays?   And it was the Giants.  The INT.  The Catch #2.  And the Dead Fish on Brady.  I can't remember who Dead Fish'd him, I want to say Tuck, but it definitely sprained his non-throwing shoulder.   Brady was a little off all night, but more so after that: you could see his throw to Welker, that sailed behind him instead of leading him down the field, would've almost sealed the game for the Pats....and Welker still could've caught it.  Then there were a couple to Branch which were just behind or just too far in front.  Un-Brady-like throws.  He was also under pressure at times, more than he's used to, but not a lot of consistent pressure.   Eli was simply the better QB of the night, made the better throws when he had to and made the better decisions... luckily Welker didn't make that catch, or the Giants squandering 2 of their 3 timeouts for no real reason might've been the story of the 4th Q.

As with everytime I attend someone else's SB party, I could only vaugely absorb the commericals.  Two or three people are always talking over each other, battling to make witty comments about the last commercial, well into the next commercial.  Difficult to hear the commercials and rate them, but I really liked the VW commecial of the dog losing weight, and of course the VW dog's barking the imperial march song.  I really prefer to watch NFL at home, in silence, LOL. 

The Halftime show was as I predicted.  Madonna lip-synching and frolicking and dry-humping with different dancers and other lip-synchers.   But really, it was a very professional Broadway-style show.  The projected images on the field were really cool, and it was a very cool production overall.   Musical performances which are just dancers moving to the album track being played over the PA are always going to feel a little bland, but they fit in plenty of lights, theatrics and beautiful field projections to compensate. 

As long as Brady and Belechick didn't hoist another Lombardi, I was going to be pleased.  The thought of their smug faces doing it again was too much to stomach.   They were actually very candid and gracious in their post-game press conferences. 

Good evening of entertainment overall!  Very sad that I have to wait until August to start the NFL fever all over again...because I dodn't really watch other sports.     
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Re: It's time for Superbowl predictions!!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »
Nice recap Jason.  I enjoyed the game too, but my memory is a lil fuzzy!   I was hosting friends at my house and did a little drinking too.  ;-)     Good thing I recorded the game.  I'll have to go back and watch it again even if only to see all the commercials in peace.

John

Sent with Tapatalk
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
There were only a few commercials worth looking for.. the VW/dog, Honda/Ferris Bueller ads, and the Audio/Twilight.  Apparently it's only automobile manufacturers than can afford the $3.5M price tag.

The game was great, Pats fans were already whining last night about calls and such, but who cares, the Giants had at least two non-calls on pass interference too.  I don't think the shoulder bothered Brady as much as the fact that Brady hasn't been as quite as mentally tough in big games since blowing the "perfect" season.  Now that they've lost 4 superbowls maybe some smugness will dissipate from Pats players, coaches, and fans.  Next time I can root against the Giants as they've won too much lately.

What did you guys think of that Bradshaw TD that he was told to avoid?  At first I thought he was showboating into the endzone... why not?  Taking a 4 point lead with less than 1 minute in the superbowl!  However it seems that was not what they wanted... WTF??

In the NFL there's no such thing as a guarantee, but if I have the option to take a guaranteed touchdown with less than a minute to play and the opposing team needs to score a TD, I'd take that touchdown 10 times out of 10.  I'd much rather give Brady 1 minute to score a TD than 20 seconds to score a field goal... TDs are just that much more difficult.  Field goals are not a given, I've seen plenty of short field goals missed in these playoffs. 

Besides, if the Giants were really intent on running the clock to a field goal, what were they doing running the ball at all?  Maybe one play designed to center the kicker, a couple kneel-downs, but they didn't do that.  I'd take that guaranteed TD all day every day, even on first down, even with more time.  I was a little perturbed that Collinsworth was giving Bradshaw such a hard time, and not a single Giants player celebrated that TD?!

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »
Coughlin said in the post game interview that in that situation he would definitely take the touchdown.  I have to agree as Ravens fans know there are no such thing as a guaranteed field goal.  It was weird that the Giants didn't celebrate the go ahead TD.  They must have felt that they were duped by Bellichick.  I was thrilled they got 6 points.

The Giants were very fortunate they fumbled the ball three times but did not turn it over.  Twice they recovered it themselves and the other time the Pats had 12 men on the field.  What a turnaround that call was.  The Giants scored a TD afterward and had a 9-0 lead.

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 03:56:19 PM »
Coughlin said in the post game interview that in that situation he would definitely take the touchdown.  I have to agree as Ravens fans know there are no such thing as a guaranteed field goal.  It was weird that the Giants didn't celebrate the go ahead TD.  They must have felt that they were duped by Bellichick.  I was thrilled they got 6 points.

Then it must have been Eli that was yelling to Bradshaw to sit down on the field, which would explain the no-reaction on the field by Giants players, and why Bradshaw was trying desperately to stop his momentum.  Perhaps Eli was more focused on running down the clock than realizing the significance of a TD.

I've never seen an NFL team give up a TD like that, but strategy is strategy.  If you are the Pats facing a clock rundown and guaranteed field goal, then maybe your only option to win is to guarantee yourself 1 minute of time to score a TD.