Author Topic: Pro Bowl  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
Pro Bowl
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »
Anyone watch the NFL Pro Bowl a week ago?  I don't usually do that but it was right after the NHL All Star game so I switched over.  I haven't watched it in years and it was even worse than I remember.  Here's how it went.

NFC has the ball on the 20 after a kickoff.  O and D-linemen stand up and slap each other's hands a few times and then stand there to watch Rodgers toss the ball 50 yards downfield to a receiver.  Usually resulted in a TD within a few plays.  Repeat for AFC.  Repeat for NFC. 

So it was just a game of throw and catch between QB and receiver with secondary getting a bit of a workout sprinting downfield.  Some of the secondary players were actually tackling hard, but it was like everyone else on the field was just watching.  It was really not enjoyable to see that lack of effort.  I complained about it at work the next day, then ran across Aaron Rogers' rant:

Rodgers: Pro Bowl 'mates 'embarrassed themselves'

What's the easiest way to make enemies in the NFL? Throw your teammates under the bus.

Aaron Rodgers surely knows this, but that didn't stop the Packers' quarterback from speaking ill of his NFC comrades and the way they played during Sunday's loss in the Pro Bowl.

"I'll be honest with you, I was a little disappointed," Rodgers said Tuesday during a radio interview with ESPN Milwaukee. "I felt like some of the guys on the NFC side embarrassed themselves. There should be some pride involved in a game like that, and I was just surprised by some of the efforts by some of the guys."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8267c5e9/article/rodgers-pro-bowl-mates-embarrassed-themselves

Better yet was Goodell's response the following day:

Goodell: "I really didn't think that was the kind of football that we want to be demonstrating for our fans. And you heard it from the fans. The fans were actively booing in the stands. They didn't like what they were seeing. … We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/38231/bbao-pro-bowl-changes-coming

Goodell is threatening to cancel the pro-bowl because fans think it sucks.  Good!  If they want to reward the players with a vacation, go ahead, but if they are going to put on a game, then the players should play.  That was a pathetic exhibition. 

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Pro Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:22:22 AM »
Anyone watch the NFL Pro Bowl a week ago?  I don't usually do that but it was right after the NHL All Star game so I switched over.  I haven't watched it in years and it was even worse than I remember.  Here's how it went.

NFC has the ball on the 20 after a kickoff.  O and D-linemen stand up and slap each other's hands a few times and then stand there to watch Rodgers toss the ball 50 yards downfield to a receiver.  Usually resulted in a TD within a few plays.  Repeat for AFC.  Repeat for NFC. 

So it was just a game of throw and catch between QB and receiver with secondary getting a bit of a workout sprinting downfield.  Some of the secondary players were actually tackling hard, but it was like everyone else on the field was just watching.  It was really not enjoyable to see that lack of effort.  I complained about it at work the next day, then ran across Aaron Rogers' rant:

Rodgers: Pro Bowl 'mates 'embarrassed themselves'

What's the easiest way to make enemies in the NFL? Throw your teammates under the bus.

Aaron Rodgers surely knows this, but that didn't stop the Packers' quarterback from speaking ill of his NFC comrades and the way they played during Sunday's loss in the Pro Bowl.

"I'll be honest with you, I was a little disappointed," Rodgers said Tuesday during a radio interview with ESPN Milwaukee. "I felt like some of the guys on the NFC side embarrassed themselves. There should be some pride involved in a game like that, and I was just surprised by some of the efforts by some of the guys."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8267c5e9/article/rodgers-pro-bowl-mates-embarrassed-themselves

Better yet was Goodell's response the following day:

Goodell: "I really didn't think that was the kind of football that we want to be demonstrating for our fans. And you heard it from the fans. The fans were actively booing in the stands. They didn't like what they were seeing. … We're either going to have to improve the quality of what we're doing in the Pro Bowl or consider other changes or even considering eliminating the game if that's the kind of quality game we're going to provide."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/38231/bbao-pro-bowl-changes-coming

Goodell is threatening to cancel the pro-bowl because fans think it sucks.  Good!  If they want to reward the players with a vacation, go ahead, but if they are going to put on a game, then the players should play.  That was a pathetic exhibition. 

It's been years since I've watched the Pro Bowl.  From all I have heard this year was a disaster.  Maybe they should just name an all Pro team and have some sort of star studded celebrity extravaganza to announce each player and show a quick highlight package.   I remember the old Bob Hope college football show.

1986 "Christmas Special" A.P. All-America Football Team

John
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:30:52 AM »
Keeping to a skills competition wouldn't be bad... even that is not taken seriously by the players, so something would have to be done there too.

Offline RUReady2Rock

• Flipper Cowboy
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
The risk of injury in the Pro Bowl keeps the players from going all out.  Even though it is the end of the season you could still get a concussion or torn ACL.  It's the same in the NHL all star game where a team might score 10 goals.  Baseball is the only all star game where the players seem to try hard although I am not a fan of giving the home field advantage in the World Series to the winning league.

They moved the Pro Bowl from after the Super Bowl to the bye week to try to get more interest.  It was a good idea but the game is unwatchable.  Pre-season football is more entertaining than the Pro Bowl.  The winning players get $50k ea. and the losers $25k.  If it was $75k to the winners and nothing to the losers they would probably try harder.

anything