Author Topic: Tebow to Jets; Saints scandal; Fins want to lose  (Read 3358 times)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Tebow to Jets; Saints scandal; Fins want to lose
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
Too bad for Tebow.   Instead of going back to his hometown, and possibly saving the Jaguars from a move to LA, he's traded to the Jets, quite possibly the organization that has the least class in the NFL.   Tebow's resolve and perpetual chipper attitude will be sorely tested under the new spotlight in NY, going to a team which ended the season in a total meltdown of players quitting, stabbing each other in the back, and a HC who tries to make a star out of himself, serving his own ego and popularity before the betterment of the team.   NY fans have less patience than most, and Tebow's now in about the toughest situation imaginable to succeed.  Of all the places for him to be traded, that had to be last on his list.   Too bad.  I think he's an excellent player and a great person.  The Jets are from top to bottom a classless organization, and Tebow deserves better.   I have no choice but to hope he fails miserably, like I always have for anyone wearing a Jets jersey since as early as I can remember.

And speaking of HC's being clueless, what the hell was Payton thinking allowing something like that to go on, year after year?   I guess I would applaud the NFL for a swift, harsh punishment IF their punishments were consistent.    If the NFL is serious about maintaining its integrity and having a zero tolerance policy, then why not full year suspensions for players who get their 3rd DUI, 2nd or 3rd case of domestic violence, etc etc?    A $25,000 fine (about like a $50 fine to the rest of us) and maybe a 1-3 game suspension has been the norm.   I think today's punishment is a tad severe, unless the NFL is setting a new standard of zero tolerance which will blanket the players, coaches and entire organizations who commit crimes which tarnish the image of the NFL or who maliciously break NFL rules.   Like I said, if so, then I applaud it.  The NFL is setting itself up to be a massive hypocrite when they hand out a slap on the wrist suspension for future offenses which are much worse. 

And of course my favorite team signs Garrard.  Why? Why? Why?   I live near Jax, but when I grew up there were only the Fins and the Bucs, and the Bucs sucked.    So I've been a Fins fan since I can remember and they'll always be my fav team.   Of course the Jags have been my "home team" for awhile now, so I've suffered through many poor personnel decisions over the past several years, dating back to Leftwich and his relief pitcher-like release that DB's always got an extra three full steps on.   Garrad has had his moments, especially 4-5 years ago when they nearly pulled it off against the Steelers.  But he's devolved since then, and the last three years my friends know I've continuously said the Jags need to let Garrad go.  Well they finally did.  Unfortunately they replaced him with an awkward lanky rookie who has no pocket presence.  And doubly unfortunately, the Fins sign Garrad.   There's a reason Fins fans have been staging large protests in front of the stadium this week.  The off-season moves aren't smart so far, and we all know it. 

Do all the Florida NFL franchises just WANT to lose?   I'm confused.  I thought the idea was to win?    ???
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Re: Re: Tebow to Jets; Saints scandal; Fins want to lose
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:08:55 PM »
I can't stand the Saints and the Jets.  This is a great day for me! 

John

Sent with Tapatalk
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
Re: Tebow to Jets; Saints scandal; Fins want to lose
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »
Miami, WTF is going on there?  Not only have they been unsuccessful landing any free agent they've interviewed (when QB was their priority), they dumped their #1 WR and #1 tackler on the team.  Fans are literally protesting in Miami today.

The Jets seem to be a nice fit because Tony Sparano is the OC there, the man who introduced the wildcat to the NFL, and no better player to run it than Tebow.  What's most interesting is that the Jets just upped Sanchez's contract another $20M for his stellar (sarcasm) performance last year, apparently hush money as they bring in Tebow.  The Jets had internal issues last year, lack of leadership, etc, so they think Tebow can help address that with his unending positive attitude and natural on-and-off the field leadership. 

However on the flip of the coin, if Sanchez plays like he did last year, fans will make it intolerable to leave Sanchez on the field, forcing the Jets organization to reluctantly put their $40M QB on the bench in favor of the Tebow show.  Fans love him, Jets want fans in the seats, and they are constantly overpowered in the media by the Giants.  I think Tebow has a fair chance to make things work there, but it's certainly a tougher situation than Jax or Miami.

The problem in Jax is that the owner wanted Tebow but the coaching staff did not.  The starting QBs are Blaine Gabbert and Luke McCown.  Luke was useless in Tampa, was pulled early last year to start rookie Gabbert whom "Football Outsiders calculated that Gabbert's 2011 season was "with the fifth worst season we've ever measured" in aggregate value."  Tebow would look like a god compared to those two QBs, and in Gator country no less.  Seems like missed opportunity there.

Anyway, all this is a domino effect from the Broncos signing Manning.  Knowing the Broncos went all-in with the Manning sweepstakes, I was really afraid of what would happen in that organization if they didn't sign him, and my fears were justified as you can see the cleanup that the other teams have to do because they didn't land him.  SF used Manning to play hardball with Alex Smith, Titans are heartbroken after offering him the world, Miami is in shambles, Seattle even tried to sneak him out for an interview, and all the QBs hurt in the process either had to get hush money or will hold a grudge.

The Broncos got significantly less for Tebow than it cost them to pick him up, but ultimately his success did make the Broncos a more attractive team for Manning to come to.  It seemed like a perfect situation for Tebow to be tutored by a HOF QB and a future HOF QB, but fact is backup QBs don't develop under Manning.. he demands complete control of his offense and takes every snap in practice, so it is better for Tebow to step into a situation where he can play a little more. 

If it doesn't work out for the Jets, Tebow could still be in FL for the 2013 season... for the amount of media and fans he brings, his salary is a bargain... several teams whiffed on Tebow, but the Jets moved quickly.

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Exactly.  Love or hate Marshall, they GAVE him away.  Literally.  You might pick 3rd round receivers for the next 10 years and never get a Brandon Marshall. 

And if the rumors of Flynn joining Philbin are true, great, but we already know that entire system is is only as good or bad as the receivers.  Protests will continue.

I forgot about Sparano going to the Jets.  I'm sure he's drooling over some wildcat plays with Tebow.  They're saying it's on hold now.   Jags should waive Gabbert and take the deal the Jets are squabbling over.   Henne/Tebow is not a bad combo to have going into camp, and Tebow/MJD could be a defensive nightmare for a lot of teams.   I bet the Jets trade goes through, $5 mil probably won't be a deal-breaker just a deal-adjuster...   
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

Offline Baiter

• Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »
The Jets agreed to pay half the $5M to complete the deal. Jags had a window to work with but in the end didn't want to do it.... they have confidence in Gabbert.  I did forget Henne was just signed, so that is at least some QB upgrade for the Jags this year.

Offline Naf

• Quicksilver
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
I watched every game hesitant Henne played (live) during his stinch in Miami. Let's just say he needs to work on his redzone attack!

This has been Miami's best draft since 1983.

Alot of faith in this new re-build! 15 new coaches a young gunslinger from Texas A&M that knows Sherman offense and a Head Coach that took the Packers to victory!

Why did they trade Marshall? Most dropped passes in NFL. That's why! Watching it in person makes you not forget!

Was very on edge that it was Tim Teebow day on Huricane dirt last season when Denver won in Miami. That will not be the case this year for Teebow and the Jets!

Regarding the Saint's headhunting...A person once stated "If your not cheating then your not trying" came to mind which was a Wrestling entertainer back in the day! If a 320 lbs huge mass was coming at you wouldn't you want to buy the guy who takes him out (G,T) dinner as well? This is Football!!!! (Not to hurt but to use force so he doesn't get to ya)

Offline mECHsLAVE

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
I watched every game hesitant Henne played (live) during his stinch in Miami. Let's just say he needs to work on his redzone attack!

This has been Miami's best draft since 1983.

Alot of faith in this new re-build! 15 new coaches a young gunslinger from Texas A&M that knows Sherman offense and a Head Coach that took the Packers to victory!

Why did they trade Marshall? Most dropped passes in NFL. That's why! Watching it in person makes you not forget!

Was very on edge that it was Tim Teebow day on Huricane dirt last season when Denver won in Miami. That will not be the case this year for Teebow and the Jets!

Regarding the Saint's headhunting...A person once stated "If your not cheating then your not trying" came to mind which was a Wrestling entertainer back in the day! If a 320 lbs huge mass was coming at you wouldn't you want to buy the guy who takes him out (G,T) dinner as well? This is Football!!!! (Not to hurt but to use force so he doesn't get to ya)

Well, for full disclosure, Marshall has been a starter on my fantasy team the last two seasons, so I remember the big plays and fantasy points more than the drops.   I remember the 60 yard bomb he caught last season, double covered, with one of the backs having him in a full on rear naked choke, hanging from him.   And he has probably the best stiff arm ownage youll see from a wideout.   He pushed Jason Allen 8 yrds into the end zone like he wasn't even there once.  He beat three guys on a big TD catch against the Bucs, finishing it off with a legendary stiff arm against the Bucs safety who hit him at full speed, running it the last 20 yards in.  Poor attitude or not, drops and all, I was sad to see the Fins trade him.   He's a receiver I love watching play, and I wish he was still in FL.  Will he be my first WR fantasy pick again this year?  If he's available, you bet.

As for Henne, yes the red zone was his problem.  He slowly lost his killer instinct and became hesitant.  I remember his rookie year, that home win over the Patriots on the last drive, he threw these 4th down rifle shot 20 yrd completions with no arc.  Just bullets.  I remember being hopeful and excited that we had a new fearless gunslinger for a QB.    Then he started with the INTs.   Then they tried to micro-control him, and he began to play hesitantly, and he still threw INTs, but less big plays and rifle shots.   Henne's arm is a monster when he decides to use it.  You'll notice many games where he started off throwing great, then after an INT he just loses it.   He had an ideal situation, but he couldn't perform.   Best WR/TE combos in football, great OL, and he always had a threat in the backfield and a strong D.  Nobody to blame but himself.

I'm excited about Tannehill, also, a QB from the same cloth as Henne, but let's hope he has more of a fearless spirit and killer instinct.   I like Moore a lot also, actually, he really played solid, overall, and the Fins would've made the playoffs last year if they'd had Moore as the number 1 all the way through camp and the entire season.   And hey as for Chad, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play in Jax this season.   Gabbert's on a tigher leash no doubt. 

As for the Jets and Tebow, it's going to be fun watching that whole situation implode and become an epic Fail.   I've hated the Jets since I was in elementary school, and although I really liked Tebow as a player, he's now with the enemy and he's going to decay. 

It's going to be a fun season.  I want it to start now!  :)  Don't forget to join our FPF FF league when it's time, Naf!
-Jason

Saint Augustine, FL

anything