Author Topic: Neon Signs  (Read 2640 times)

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
Neon Signs
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
First let me post this link that I found on Pinside.  They have a ton of really cool signs for gamerooms.  The neons are kind of small, but cool none the less!

http://www.backtothearcade.com/
Direct link to signs:   http://www.backtothearcade.com/index.php/categories/game-room-neons

I have been looking for a neon since before Spencer screwed me by selling a nice as heck "Pinball" neon to some unknown person at the SPF show.   ;)   I have been using a Craigslist app for the last year to find a neon sign for my gameroom.  99.9% of what is for sale seems to be beer related. Mostly Bud/Coors/Lite etc. I hate beer and have not had one ounce in at least 25 years. I have been looking for something to do with Tequila, wine, or gameroom related. Recently I came across two really nice neons on CL Orlando that I bought. The big one from 5 Rivers winery is huge compared to the ones on the above site and has a backlit panel. It had to have been $500+ when it was new. It also came with a dimmable transformer, which I have found is very important. Most bigger neon signs are very bright when you put them in your house. Too bright to be over or near a pinball machine. I have retrofitted the smaller sign with a dimmer too. Dimming a neon is easier said than done. The new neons have electronic power supplies that simply cannot be dimmed like the old-school transformers could. You have to actually replace the transformer with one that contains a dimmer.

The guy I bought the "Cocktails" neon from has dozens of neons at his house in Winter Garden and repairs them himself.  He has been a great help to me on the dimming subject and is also looking to buy his first pinball machine soon coincidentally.   

John
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline doghouse

• Kingpin
  • Have You Had Your Shot Of Pinball Today?
    • The Pinball Asylum
Re: Neon Signs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
I love these.
When in Fort Myers, visit THE PINBALL ASYLUM!

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:03 AM »
Yep, nice stuff!
I like the five rivers one, the cocktails seems to be inspired by the logo from the tom cruise movie.

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:02:14 PM »
Yep, nice stuff!
I like the five rivers one, the cocktails seems to be inspired by the logo from the tom cruise movie.

You panicked me for a second.  I had to look up Cocktail on IMDB and found that the sign is significantly different.  That is a relief...I can keep it now!

John
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline Greywolf

• Kingpin
    • FreePlayServices
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »
...wondering why the forum parser doesn't sensor "cocktails" :)

Offline Miracleman

• Kingpin
  • TOO HAPPY
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »

You panicked me for a second.  I had to look up Cocktail on IMDB and found that the sign is significantly different.  That is a relief...I can keep it now!
John

too bad, it would have complimented your ALL THE RIGHT MOVES neon nicely

Offline John I

• Administrator
  • Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »

John

too bad, it would have complimented your ALL THE RIGHT MOVES neon nicely

I assume that is another Tom Cruise movie?  Top Gun and Days of Thunder are number 1 and 2 on my list of worst movies ever.  Aside from Risky Business and Magnolia, Tom Cruise movies are banned from my house.   This is similar to the ban on anything done by Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, etc)...

John
Wanted to buy: 
Gottlieb Dodge City

Offline klassic

• Kingpin
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:48:41 AM »
i went neon nuts (i worked for a neon glass designer back in the early 90s), had an entire room loaded with them. sold all except my 3 best now (red dog and my southpaw light are keepers). Ogeist/bob purchased a couple of bud neon signs from me years before we re-met on forums and had the same pinball interests. :)

i have an odoul's green/white pga tour themed neon sign for sale, $70.00 if there is any interest.

anything